My 15.5 Gallon Nano Tank

Rick

Here are a few pics of the small Nano tank I recently set up. The tank is a 15.5 gallon Nano with a built in sump area in back. It currently has one 24w 7100k PC and one 18w Actinic in the hood (The 24 watt was a mod I did to use the larger bulb). I also added a second fan for better cooling in the hood. For better circulation I've added a small power head as well. The tank currently has a frag rack made from egg crate to get the frags I put in there up closer to the light. It will primarily be a clown tank plus quarantine/isolation or whatever you want to call it to temporarily hold corals. For instance I have a few Monti's in it now until I figure out if I have a monti eating nudi problem in the display tank. It has 2" or so of sand (seeded with live sand from the display sump). maybe 8 or 10 lbs. of rock (approx 1/2 was live rock from 2 other tanks), a little halimeda, and some chaeto. I also seeded this tank with live pods a couple of weeks ago as well.

Tank occupants:

A mated pair of Orange Clowns: Not sure if these are Ocellaris or True Percs though as there seem to be some inconsistencies. Based on pictures I've been told they look like they are Ocellaris however they have a bright orange ring around the eye pupils (about the same color as they are), the eyes bulge from the head some and the Dorsal spine count is 10. These all appear to be traits for true perculas and are different from the pair of black/white ocellaris I also have. Either way I think they are a beautiful pair of clowns.

A Beautiful Rose Bubble Tip Anemone: This was given to me as a bonus for helping someone move a tank.

One Red Scooter or Starry Blenny: There seems to be inconsistency about whether these are easy or hard to take care of but it seems to be finding plenty of stuff in the sand currently to eat. If it looks like it isn't getting enough food I'll put it in my display tank where the smaller creatures are starting to thrive more.

One large Electric Blue Hermit, a couple of other small hermits, a Green Emerald Crab, and a few snails. (I haven't kept track of how many I moved into it from my display)

At this point I do not plan to do much else with this tank other than removing the frag rack when I no longer need to isolate the monti's from the display and then maybe adding some Zoa's when I have enough extras in the display tank to take some from there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5093&stc=1&d=1246623213

attachment.php?attachmentid=5094&stc=1&d=1246623213

attachment.php?attachmentid=5095&stc=1&d=1246623213

attachment.php?attachmentid=5096&stc=1&d=1246623213

attachment.php?attachmentid=5097&stc=1&d=1246623213

post-5811-141867776998_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867777006_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14186777701_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867777014_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867777017_thumb.jpg

Its looking good!!! do you have any fts?

Not yet, I'll probably geta couple within the next day or two.

I'm minus one Green Emerald Crab now though. I came home after the weekend to find the electric blue hermit having it for dinner.

calm....nice. I kinda (key word here is kinda) miss the calm of when my tank wasn't packed.

This one will probably stay that way other than adding some more LR and a few low key corals (Zoas, GSP, or something along those lines) after I remove the frag rack. I like the simplicity of this one in contrast to the complexity of my display tank.

FWIW, this tank actually has my most aggressive fish (The larger clown). I have to either play tricks with her (both hands at once so she doesn't know which one to hit) or put a rubber glove on to keep her from taking a chunk out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a current picture of the Nano. I made a few changes now. For starters I removed both the frag rack and the sump. This provided a lot more room in the tank so it doesn't look so crowded. (The clowns seem happier as well) After some thought I came to the conclusion I could remove the sump and just replace it with a few extra pieces of Live Rock and accomplish the same or better filtration. Since each water change replaces 1/3 of the water I think it will work fine this way. Once the sump was out I added a Hagen 402 Power Head to help cut back the algae as I was starting to get a bit of hair algae growing. After 3 days it seems to have been brought into check now. This replaced the weak circulation pump from the sump. Following this I added a few rocks and then rearranged it to bury the flower pot for the clowns down under the pile to make it less conspicuous. I moved the RBTA down in the same area as well. It tends to move around a bit in this tank but I'm hoping it will find a spot it likes near there. One other change I made was to add foam filters to the power head intakes. The primary reason for this is to keep the RBTA from being pulled into them again. (It got into one a couple of weeks ago and had a few tentacles clipped but nothing serious) I also added my 3 pieces of cabbage leather coral and the galaxea I had quarantined. (The move was to allow me to tear down the third tank) The galaxea wasn't very happy in quarantine anyway because of the low lighting. (It already looks happier and has several tentacles extended)

A recap of the livestock:

One pair of mated Orange Clowns

One Red Scooter Blenny

One Purple Fire Fish

One Large Electric Blue Hermit

One decent size Zebra Hermit (This one is about triple the size of when I got it)

a few other various hermits (Not sure if they are blue leg, halloween, or red legs)

5 to 10 various small snails (No turbos, etc.)

One RBTA

attachment.php?attachmentid=5309&stc=1&d=1248489885

post-5811-141867746678_thumb.jpg