250W Metal Halide: The works

Dego Red

It's time to upgrade, so I'm looking for a ballast, wiring, etc etc. I can live without bulbs or reflectors since those are easy enough to find, but let me know what you have. My 150W isn't quite doing it growth-wise for my corals.

Thanks!

Mike

Just for clarification...... single or dual?

Dual end or single end? I'm fine with either. I currently run one DE, but if nothing else a SE would be cleaner.

I have one of these sitting around with the hanging gear and all.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~lighting_metal_halide_aqua_medic_ocean_lights.html

Pretty nice setup, although I'm not sure if I can squeeze that in my hood. My current reflector already resides about 2" above and 1/2" over my actinic reflector, so I'd have to take some measurements tonight. Shoot me a PM with price, bulb age, and any other details you think might be relevant.

Thanks!

Mike

The PAR value from 500W may be overkill in my 29G display. I already have plans to shift the light a few inches to the right to favor my SPS/away from my LPS. I'm afraid 250W right over my deep water zoas (I think they are anyway) may irritate them.

Just out of curiosity, can you explain the setup? Is the dual ballast daisy-chained together in some fashion, or can they be split up?

• 2 weeks later...
If you are look for 2 double ended setups with a dual ballast' date=' let me know. I was thinking about going with 400w myself (I have a deep tank), so I would need to find a home for the (2) 250w I have now.[/quote']

What do you need to get for this setup? I'm thinking about upgrading from Dual 175 DE HQI to 250 DE HQI.