Corals Dying. HELP!

pthoma79

I noticed yesterday that my xenia and zoas weren't looking so great, but didn't have time to tend to them. Today, they are doing about the same, and I want to figure out whats going on before they all die.

About 3 weeks ago, I added some orange zoas and a Hydnophora. Now, my xenia and 2 colonies of zoas (green eye and orange) seem to be dying. My levels are:

SG-1.022 (hydrometer)

pH-8.2

trite-0

trate-25

amm-0

ca-420

KH-14.4

alk-5.14

The only thing I can think of is possibly chemical warfare, but I have a few shrooms and a colt in the tank too, and they are doing fine. I don't run carbon.

I know the Hydnophora can be aggressive, but not sure if its stinging them or not. There are corals closer than the zoas, so wouldn't they be affected too?

Here are some pics:

Tank2001.jpg

Tank2006.jpg

Tank2004.jpg

Tank2002.jpg

PLEASE let me know asap if you have any ideas (or if you need more info or pics). I'll be checking back often. Thanks!!!

What lighting do you use? Is there plenty of current? Your Alk looks low. Have you dosed anything without checking parameters? Try adding a few drops of iodine or some iodide to help your xenias and soft corals. They dont look all that bad yet.

Jay

Xenia can be pretty finicky. It can die down to almost nothing for no apperent reason and then pop back up only to take over your tank lol. I have had mixed results with xenia though I think it is a pretty cool coral. Clean water and low iodine are some of the main reasons for xenia die off. The green zoas on the other hand, I have always had excellent luck with. Try giving them an iodine dip. I usually put about 2 cups of water in a ziplock with 5 drops of iodine and put the zoas in there for about 10 minutes. Seems to clear up any issues if they are bacterial related. Also kills the crap out of nudies if you have any of them but won't always get their eggs.

Garrett

None of those corals in the pics look to be dying.

You SG is a bit low. Have a LFS test it with a refractometer, then test the same water with your hydrometer. Then you will know how far off it is and can adjust accordingly.

Your nitrates are high, have you done a WC lately? If not do a 25% WC

Your alk is low as mentioned above. A bit of baking soda will help there.

im at the opposite end of the spectrum, always wish my xenia and zoas "will" shrivel up and die.

i did have hydnophora like yours in the photo, at night its stingers would wreak havoc on its neighbors, sometimes 6-9 inches, was crazy. check it long after its dark, (typically when your catching your best sleep) hahaha, longest sps stingers i ever had. hence the my removal. too cramped in the old tank. great stony, one of my favs.

also some of my corals dont like kh over 12, typically sps. seems as if your alk is low? also as impur suggested, a weekly water change is great way to fix things.... seems odd your calc is good, kh good, but alk low? might retest it? or take it in to your fav lfs. you can verify if you have any old/incorrect test kits.

some corals are very sensitive to nitrate over 25.. i know when my nitrates are on the up, my xenia shows it first. also i have seen many tanks with a lower salinity that were excellent but 1.025 is normally the benchmark for reef and 1.022 for fish.....

its been hot lately too, what are your temps at the end of your light cycle?

x2 on the temp. When I had sump problems last week my temps ran a bit high and the corals (including the xenia) didn't look too happy. After getting the sump back up and running and the temps cooler they are looking much happier. (So much so I'm starting to worry because they are also popping out in several other places)

The temp is 77.5. Thought that was w/in the acceptable range.

Concerning the nitrates, I think the main problem is the substrate I bought when I started was about 75% CC. I'm trying to figure out the best way to switch it out. I was thinking of vacuuming out 1/4 or so of the substrate a week, followed immediately by a water change, then adding sand once its all out.

I have a refractometer on order, but it hasn't gotten here yet. When I'm at the LFS this weekend, I'll have them test the SG, and see exactly where it is. I usually buy premixed stuff from saltwater fantaseas, and patrick said he keeps it at 1.023.

One more thing. I have been doing a 5 gal water change (my tank is 34g) monthly. Should I be doing it more often?

Thanks!

Depending on your bio load, the 5gal a month could be sufficient.

The temp you provided above, 77.5, I assume you answered the previous question that this is at the end of the light cycle, not first thing in the morning- please confirm.

+1 for checking the refractor.

I was having similiar issues earlier this year, found out my refractor was a little off and also added carbon to the mix. In a couple days, things were looking good. Someone else had mentioned that Carbon could have been helping with any chemical warfare the corals in my tank may have been participating in.

As for the CC if your going to remove it I personally removed ALL of mine by siphon and went bare bottom with remote sand, if your going to replace I would siphone 1/3, wait a week, siphon 1/3 and replace the other 1/3 with sugar and do the same the next couple weeks later. Keep an eye on your system as to not cause a cycle. If you have lots of live rock you should have no problem.