Asterinas Eat Coral

andy

Interesting, I have both and never had a problem, not saying your not (looks like you found the culprit) But I have had no problems with them on any of my stylo types. I will keep an eye out though. Maybe I will stick him on one and see what he does. My asterina seem to love the algae on the LR and back wall covered in different types of algae.

Just to clarify, there is many breed of this star... here is a brief description.

ASTERINA STARSYou may see little oddly shaped white starfish crawling around on your glass. These are asterina stars. They will split and multiply in your tank. MOST asterinas in our tanks are good guys, but there are some types that munch on coral. Watch them... if they are always on your coral, be wary. If they are cruising your glass, they are probably algae grazers.

They're baby Asterinas' date=' who turn into dark-hearted coral-eaters like the one pictured above.[/quote']

No offense Andy, but I don't think this is an accurate statement (were you joking?)... CCR- were you referring to little brittle stars?

I've had both blue and pink asterinas that haven't touched my corals.

sep9starfish.jpg

No offense Andy' date=' but I don't think this is an accurate statement (were you joking?)... [/quote']

None taken. I wasn't joking, and I know it to be true in this case. My wife and I have been watching this particular critter grow for the past few months (he's actually been one of my wife's 'favorites' for the past several weeks), and I know it started life out as one of the little white generic-asterinas we're all familiar with. Do I 'know' it in such a way that I can prove it to you here? No way. Do I 'know' it in the way we all know what's going on in our tanks over time? You bet'cha.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying all little white asterinas grow into Soulless Coral-Consuming Creatures of Evil... some, if not most of them would lead happy lives grazing on cyano, brown algae and diatoms. I'm just saying I can't tell the difference by looking at them and I'm not willing to risk losing corals to find out.

I just pulled one of these guys from the tank... he was about the size of a quarter and came in on some new rock that had been in qt for about 3 months. After I moved my coral into the new tank my Tyree LE sky blue mille quickly vanished into nothingness... And the starfish quickly vanished into the freezer. No hard feelings on that one. I'm glad you caught yours in time!

asterina.jpg

Here is an article from garf.org about them:

Go to: WWW.Garf.org , Then to "Aquarium Pests" , then to "SPS Eating Starfish" , there is also an "update"

Thanks for the link, Neil -- exactly the same as my experience, right down to the coloration of the star and the target coral (stylophora).

Wh-wh-what!? That's it... when I find 'em I'm going to have to relocate them to the sump just to be safe!

That won't work. It takes just one to go thru the plumbing/return pump and boom, you've got a bunch. I have the white ones, never seen them do anything but eat coraline.

Spayne: ya they will get back in, I had a single one, and now they are in the sump.

Dchemist: Thats funy you mention that, my first little critter my wife liked... was a atapsia.. She came home to find me shooting it with kalk.. she was like WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY CORAL!!! Its was almost a shortlived life.....

Zoo eating little mother

Yep. My zoonathid colonys were closing up then I retrieved the rock and looked close. inbetween the closed zooz was a small asterina star. The ones with the uneven legs was munching orange skirt zooz like they forgot the recipe. He now sleeps with the dandilions on my front lawn somewhere.(enforcer)

Jay