Kona in July

TAD

I will be going to Kona next month. I will be there for 9 full days 11 total. This is a family vacation, timeing could be better but its the only time we could work it out so all of us could go.

I have a few questions, first off do any of you know of any good deals on house or condo for rent. We already have booked our flights but are looking for a place to stay. We want to be on the beach.

So my second question would be if any of you know about getting a permit to collect a few fish to send home. Not to sell, just for our own tank. I was thinking maybe I could get an lfs to ship for me if I had the proper permit but I am not sure such a thing is avalible? I know I can catch and kill almost any kind of fish with a hook and line, spear or small net for food, but as for export I dont have a clue

Last but not least if anyone has any tips on good eats or places to go things to do please let me know.Also if anybody needs anything from the big island let me know.

Hi Tad there is lots of stuff to do in Kona and up and down the coast on that side of the island. Snorkle at captain cook for sure. Use 6 person boats not the big guys. Body glove and others like to leave a few folk a year out there. They will also take you really close to caves and such & its personal. If you have a car go to punalu'u beach. It is behind the Mt.view golf course. Great place to see Green sea turtles sunning on the beach. A little colder water over there but fun to snorkle with them.

Beckie

There are no real beaches in kailua but you should be able to get a good deal on a room or condo, I'll check for you my parents live there. There are beaches you just need to know where to go. I dont think you can collect fish they are very strick and most of the ones you will see are big, yellow tangs etc. The small one are off the rocks in areas you wouldnt want to go in

I'll hook you up with some maps before you go

Thank you Beckie. It is fun over there. We are mostly going to do what you said, snorkel and explore and catch our dinner. It will be weird eating a fish you could put in a tank. I am also going to look at a few lots over there.

I couldn't find the green sand beach last time but have it marked on a map for this trip. We will be getting a car or SUV but not sure which? Big price difference.

I wish I could find a decent underwater camera to buy that wasn't out of this world expensive. The disposable ones just don't work that great. Maybe I should look into a waterproof case for one of the camera's I already have. (plotting)

Troy, it's really not an export. As Hawaii it is part of the USA. All you need to do is ship it to yourself or find someone to ship it for you. You shouldnt need anything special or even a permit for shipping, but you need to be careful and make sure that you obtain the fish leagally. Thats the nice thing about it being Hawaii.......It's domesticated!!!!!!

It's like me with my corals. I can take it right from my tank and ship it to you in Hawaii via fedex and dont need anything extra or special.

It's like me with my corals. I can take it right from my tank and ship it to you in Hawaii via fedex and dont need anything extra or special.

You may want to check on that, I was told at the local aquarium shop it was illeagal to bring any coral, invertebrates or LR to the islands. They did not have any LR in their display tanks, he said you could not collect it there but I got the impression his home tank may be a little different (whistle).

Collecting fish is OK but I would definetly ask first

I found this

http://www.reefland.com/forum/reef-aquariums/14784-no-tanks-hawaii.html

Troy, it's really not an export. As Hawaii it is part of the USA. All you need to do is ship it to yourself or find someone to ship it for you. You shouldnt need anything special or even a permit for shipping, but you need to be careful and make sure that you obtain the fish leagally. Thats the nice thing about it being Hawaii.......It's domesticated!!!!!!

I believe it is illegal to possess live rock and coral in Hawaii.

You may want to check on that, I was told at the local aquarium shop it was illeagal to bring any coral, invertebrates or LR to the islands. They did not have any LR in their display tanks, he said you could not collect it there but I got the impression his home tank may be a little different (whistle).

Collecting fish is OK but I would definetly ask first

I found this

http://www.reefland.com/forum/reef-aquariums/14784-no-tanks-hawaii.html

I heard that you can buy "molokai base rocks" to use. I believe the fish stores sell them, or you can collect them over in molokai.

You can apply for a permit to collect fish and inverts at the gov website.

https://dlnr.ehawaii.gov/cmls-public/app/welcome.html

I heard that you can buy "molokai base rocks" to use. I believe the fish stores sell them, or you can collect them over in molokai.

I just applied for the permit, now I need to get a plan for shipping. You are allowed 5 fish per day. I wont do but a few if any, but its a cool thought. Getting them shipped will be the hard part for me.

I wish I could find a decent underwater camera to buy that wasn't out of this world expensive. The disposable ones just don't work that great. Maybe I should look into a waterproof case for one of the camera's I already have. (plotting)

My son and his GF are going in a week to Oahu. They bought a water proof camera at Costco and it's pretty cool.... Olympus Stylus1050SW. His buddy bought one the same day, also going to Oahu. Has been using it in there pool!!! cool I think it is $180.00.. ten feet/3 meters. As we speak he is trying it i n my tank(clap)

That might be what is in most tanks you see in resturants, etc either that or fake rock might also be lava rock. The guy at the LFS said he had his own rock curing in the ocean but the tanks in the store didnt have any live rock in them

Yea its pretty much a no no to ship any live critter to Hawaii but from there shouldn't be a issue if you bring the right shipping material like bags good stryo box to ship in and a bonus if you can find Oxygen a big must if shipping large fish.

Cant bring them back on your carry-on, to much liquid. Cant put them in your other luggage or they will not make it. Oh and its 5 fish per day.

I dont think it will work out but I will have the permit just in case everything falls into place.