Jump to content

Tired of Getting Shocked!!!


downhill_biker

Recommended Posts

I am talking about getting shocked from power strips. In the new house there are very few plugs in the basement, so I have to use an extension cord. I have 2 of the "DJ" powerstrips and a powerstrip for my lights, so 3 plugs. I keep getting problems with the powerstrip I plug them into. It shocks me all the time.

 

So if I have to use an extension cord, what should I use to split it with? This plain powerstrip isn't doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just changed out some of mine with those Heavy Duty Outdoor GFI pigtails. They have 3 plugs. I've had no luck with the household GFI's but these seem to work well especially if you have to run an extension cord

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are the house GFCI's not holding when everything is running?

 

I wouldnt say that, I have 3 dedicated 20a circuits for my system and once in a while one or the other would trip. I tried replacing them but finally gave up. I replaced 2 power strips with these outdoor GFCI's and they have never tripped

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well running a GFI through another GFI is a bad idea. the two will usually result in a slight milliamp loss and one or the other will trip. doubling up gfi's wont stop you from getting shocked any more than one. Maybe I am not understanding the problem but I dont see how the power strip is shocking you. The commersial GFCI splitter you are talking about is used for just that and it has a higher ground fault or milliamp loss before it trips. A GFI has a lower rating and can trip with aquarium appliances as they usually have an amprage leak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with finch. The commercial gfci splitters would be a better way to go for you. Are you running grounding probes in the tank and sump??

 

Dave

 

yes i am running grounding probe, but still get a slight shock when i put my hand in the tank. i am confused. am i that good of a ground. i drink lots of water. (laugh)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

do you only get shocked when unplugging or plugging something in whith wet hands? that about the only way you could get shocked unless you are grabbing the plug blades and going between ungrounded(hot) and grounded(neutral). that way the GFI wouldn't trip as easy since the voltage is not being lost through ground. A GFI measures loss to the grounding terminal not the grounded(neutral). If that was the case the shock would more than likely just be a very small tingle if you were touching the neutral conductor. Voltage does go throught the neutral when there is other electrical outlets down the line and the draw is unbalanced on that phase. hopefully that wasn't confusing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is another way he can be getting shocked. If there is an electrical leak of some form (from the line side) that is not being removed by the grounding probe. It sounds like the tank may be in the basement and if the floor is wet he could be a source to ground resulting in the tingle.

 

I am an electrician also. Nice to have another on the boards to bounce ideas off of.

 

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can most definately ground out thru a concrete floor. I have done it :) I agree with you that there is a piece of equipment that is causing the source of the shock. Unfortunately it can be a pain to isolate. One of the best ways I have found is to find a circumstance that will shock you and start unplugging devices until the culprit is found. The down side is that it is not uncommon to get shocked a few times......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ran into this once on a service call. The grounding conductor was not properly connected at one point in that circuit. And the electrician or homeowner that wired it wired the line and neutral backwards so that the equipment was energized and the gfi couldn't tell that there was ever a problem. You may try and isolate the problem and if this does not work have an electrician trouble shoot it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im an electrician so I know a bit about this kind of thing. I will admit I dont know everything or as much as I should but if anyone has electrical issues I might know the answer or I can find it out from co workers

 

Dont mean to steal the post but since we are on the subject (whistle)

I removed the household GFCI from my circuits to my tank (not 2 GFI)

at the end, at the tank these were my outlets. So now I have a regular 20a circuit to my tank, which I plug in a Outdoor GFCI pigtail

Question is why are the Household GFCI so sensitive, I try to split equipment like heaters and MH on one circuit, chiller and night lights etc and what is the best way to ground the tank

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dont mean to steal the post but since we are on the subject (whistle)

I removed the household GFCI from my circuits to my tank (not 2 GFI)

at the end, at the tank these were my outlets. So now I have a regular 20a circuit to my tank, which I plug in a Outdoor GFCI pigtail

Question is why are the Household GFCI so sensitive, I try to split equipment like heaters and MH on one circuit, chiller and night lights etc and what is the best way to ground the tank

thanks

 

 

Without seeing the house wiring I cant say for sure why you had a problem with the gfi's. Usually the GFI starts at one point(dining,kitchen,basement,or any counter) and feeds other recepts down the line. So it is possible that down the line those outlets and equipment could result in a voltage leak and are tripping the gfi. It might not be the aquarium at all. Household GFI's are designed differently that the commersial pigtails so they can trip at a lower loss. As for grounding the tank, If your wiring has a grounding conductor then everything should be fine. ie; the third prong, the round prong on the plug.

I cant guarantee all of my advise is right and maybe our other electrician member can help more. I am reletively new to the trade and I still have a lot to learn

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...