Invisible rock lifts

fly guy

This is my latest invisible rock lift design

The racks begin with seriously TWICE as many rods as are really necessary(+/- depending on the size of your rock of course). Then when you go to stack your first layer of rock on them you simply remove the ones that arent needed by lifting them out of their sockets. I set them up so you begin with 100% covering the floor of your aquarium minus about 3 1/2 inches clearance in front. From that point you can shape your reef however you like by simply pulling the rods out to shape the desired footprint. THEN, you have the option in the future of putting them back for new aquascaping ideas.

check it out

here is an ebay auction for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Invisible-Live-...1QQcmdZViewItem

ps-anybody from TRT or PNWMAS can have an automatic base price of $60 if interested. Base price is based on a 48 x 18 tank footprint.

I think its ok for me to place that link here as i am just as happy to help anyone build one on their own if they want any details Im not selling them to get rich and famous......im just passing the time playing Mr Mom with my 5 month old. : )

Im just going to spend any money made on some SPS corals over the hill at a REAL LFS. haha

Mods...if this ISNT ok just let me know and i will come back and omit anything referring my auctions

: ) Ive got the materials to make like 20 of these things and just passing time at home. : )

I think ive come up with a fantastic idea here if i do say so myself, and im more than happy to share with fellow reefers.

FWIW, your looking at roughly $30 in acrylic alone if you buy it in bulk

Equipment needed is a table saw with an acrylic blade, a 3/4 inch drill bit(acrylic bit not completely required but helps) and a bunch of 1/2" acrylic scrap and 3/4" cast acrylic rods. And of course some good 'ol weld on #16

This is the BEST way to lift your rock IMO. If is not ugly like pvc lifts and as well, the rods are so much smaller than the necessary pvc piping to do the job, it barely restricts flow at all underneath and through your reef,UNLIKE pvc. The frame is designed to not mess with any of your sand critters, 1 1/4" of sand will cover the frame 100%....... win/win/win over pvc lifts : )

ebayrocklift2.jpg

ebayrocklift.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010025.jpg

A really nice job!!! I like it a ton better than the pvc. Now, for your next project. To make a back lift, so ya can have rock, almost floating, (hay, they have floating rocks on your side of the hill, lol) to make a shelf, but not dependant on the rocks below it, ya know, not having to make two piles and put a rock between em, that always wants to fall foward. :)

Why only 12"??? FWIW, i initially build the racks with 100% floor coverage - 3 1/2 " or so in front if so desired. Then you simply lift the rods out that arent necessary. The rods arent glued nor do they need to be. They just sit in place. This provides you with 100% control of what actual footprint you want your rock to take up as well as provides you with new aquascaping possibilities in the future when you want to cahnge things. You simply put them back. As well, depending on the size of your rock, all of the support rods you see are not even close to necessary, many of those are pulled out as well when you go to stack, but its one of those things you dont know which ones arent necessary until you start to stack.

BUT, in answer to your SPECIFIC question...$50 + shipping. : ), but i would encourage you to just give me exact usable footprint and let me build a rack for the whole thing, which wont be all that much more, $10 probably for the extra rods, thats where the majority of the material cost is in these things. Ive tried the cheaper rods but they stand out and arent so hard to see...the cast acrylic like quality tanks are made out of is the key. I also need to know if you have an acrylci tank with eurobracing, as two smaller racks are needed to fit them into the tank in this case.