Anybody like Classical guitar?

puntific

Inspired by the Tattoos thread...

OK... I know this is going to appeal to fewer people than tattoos... but I'm a moderately accomplished classical guitar player who is willing to teach beginners and low intermediate students the fundamentals of classical guitar in trade for corals. Typical lessons cost $20 per hour but bartering for corals would be better and I would cut some good deals. I would do it mostly for the love of music/corals.

Just thought I would toss it out there.

Scott

Too bad I don't live closer to Portland, or maybe we could work something out. I've been trying to teach myself America/Folk fingerstyle for the last year. It's just like reefkeeping, nothing good happens fast. You don't happen to know of any local fingerstyle guitar websites??

Bob

Hey Bob,

No, I don't know any local fingerstlye guitar websites. I bet you can find some that aren't local! The best way to really learn guitar (any style) is to pay for lessons. Not only does the instructor help you learn (and keep you from learning bad habits), but when you are paying money every week, you are more likely to practice! I learned classical guitar because I wanted to play blues and folk, but I wanted to really be able to use my fingers well, ie fingerstyle folk. But I fell in love with classical and never really made my crossover. I picked up Flamenco instead. Think of it as Spanish Folk!

Good luck Bob! (get a teacher) Did I say that out loud?

Scott

Do
count?

As classical guitarists, not exactly... but they are great fun. I saw them in town last year. They blend classical, flamenco, metal, rock and other folk traditions into something all new. They are playing on classical guitars (nylon strings) which allows them much greater tone flexibility. If you wanted to play like them, the fastest way to get there would be to learn classical and Flamenco! It isn't really Flamenco because the rhythm patterns aren't traditional, but the finger technique is frequently just Flamenco technique applied differently. They bristle at their music being called "Flamenco."

Scott

Inspired by the Tattoos thread...

OK... I know this is going to appeal to fewer people than tattoos... but I'm an moderately accomplished classical guitar player who is willing to teach beginners and low intermediate students the fundamentals of classical guitar in trade for corals. Typical lessons cost $20 per hour but bartering for corals would be better and I would cut some good deals. I would do it mostly for the love of music/corals.

Just thought I would toss it out there.

Scott

Really. Wish I had stuff to trade. I have been trying to learn. I bought a new schecter diamond series C1FR electric guitar and new line 6 75 watt amp about 3 months ago. I have downloaded some videos to learn from but its slow going. I do have sore fingers from practicing but I am just stumbling around the fretts. Its fun just to crank it up and make noise if anything.

Jay

Scott:

Thanks for the advice. I have thought of taking lessons. The problem is I can't find one that does house calls, between the time my daughter goes to bed and when I fall in bed. I did the next best thing I could think of. I bought a guitar stand and set it next to the TV. That way any time I spend staring at the TV, my guitar stares back at me, pleading to be picked up. So far it has worked pretty well.

Bob

Scott:

Thanks for the advice. I have thought of taking lessons. The problem is I can't find one that does house calls, between the time my daughter goes to bed and when I fall in bed. I did the next best thing I could think of. I bought a guitar stand and set it next to the TV. That way any time I spend staring at the TV, my guitar stares back at me, pleading to be picked up. So far it has worked pretty well.

Bob

Yeah,

I've thought about doing house calls, but it's hard to imagine that people would be willing to pay a "travel fee." But time is money and so is gas!

Given your situation, would you pay someone an extra $1/mile to someone living in your city if they would come to your house? Or does that sound crazy?

Scott

Scott:

I don't think it sounds crazy. It doesn't seem to have any down sides and it might pick up you up a few clients if you offered it.

As a second option you might invest in a one room musical school house, like the one I saw sitting outside of a local music store yesterday.

OneRoomSchool.jpg?t=1242596362