Skimmer Waste Tube?

Algae

I want to make a drain for my collection cup on my skimmer to drain into a remote waste container. Since it is a 6" cup (Euro Reef 135). I don't have enough room for a standard bulkhead in the base of the cup. I guess I could drill into the side of the cup and install a uniseal, but I've heard bad things about them leaking? I could drill a hole in the cup base and glue a barbed fitting? Should I tap the bottom and install a threaded elbow? Any ideas?

Im not an experienced aquatic plumber so I wont comment on what to do, but wouldn't the drain hose get plugged after some time unless you ran something really large? I know the stuff that comes out of my skimmer is thick and I could see that being an issue.

So it looks like if I go to a fitting in the bottom of the cup I need to go with a threaded fitting. That mean thread cutting into the acrylic and using Teflon tape.

What is the advantage of JG elbow/fitting? The 1/2" poly/nylon ell that I see at Jerry's Hardware might have a question of clearance of the neck of the skimmer when screwing into the base of the cup?

Just a note on the side of caution regarding the use of an overflow container on the skimmer....a heads up if I can.

If and WHEN the skimmer goes postal....to much flow / plugged vent / etc ...it will drain out of the cup and into the container...as you design it to. Here's the down fall. When this happens and you don't catch it, say 4-5 hrs later ( I was lucky ) and you notice a wet spot on the carpet... thats a BAD THING! not to mention the smell in the carpet / floor...and then there is the ATO that fed water into the tank and lowered the salinity as the saltwater was overflowing ever so slowly and silently out of the tank.

I still have it set up this way, but am much more watchful of it then I was before. ( This actually happened after a water change )

Just a heads up and something to remember when you set it up. If it could be installed inside the sump it would be much safer. If it ever over flowed...it would be contained and no loss of water would occur.

True, I have mine setup so that once the overflow container is full it shut off, then the cup will overflow into tank. This was simply accomplished by having a very tight seal into the drain container, no fancy ping pong ball setup, when its full water does not escape and was simple to make.