Tank move from hell (Seeking imminent advice)

catholicteacher

Alright I have moved tanks at least a half dozen+ times in my time reefing. Here was the worst and is still on going. I was switching from my 35 hex to a 55g, so I spent all week sanding down the 55 and then primed and painted it. So, today was the move, heres how it went: I connected all equipment, then I checked all the connections with a wrench, it all seemed ok. So, I went ahead with the transfer of the lr, ls, corals and livestock. I go ahead and fill it up, I then turn everything on and the return elbow cracks and sends water all over the living room. At this time all hardware stores are closed as its 11:00, so I go to Fred Meyer a few miles away, I buy epoxy, plumber tape, kalk and some intense molding putty. I then turn it on and it works perfect, then the overflow starts to leak a ton. Note: The overflow is a corner so it is drilled under which means I now had to move everything over to buckets as we had already moved the old tank out, the fish, corals and everything are now sitting in buckets in my house with a heater and a powerhead, so hopefully they can last a day or 2 so I can figure out my next move. Can I get some help from someone on how to fix this overflow problem? I know this is vague but there is an intense leak coming from the overflow but the connection is tight, I assume I have another crack.

Thanks for looking, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mike

Is it leaking from the bulkhead? Sometimes the seal is not set right, or you may have over-tightened it.

Sometimes you can put some silicone under the inside of the bulkhead to help seal the gasket. This should be done as a last effort. It may ruin the gasket if you ever want to use the bulkhead somewhere else.

Try to isolate where the leak is coming from.

dsoz

Update: John Manrow was over here until right now (10) and he got here a little after 3:30, what an awesome guy! So, here is the scoop for now: The gasket on the overflow was all gnarled up and needed replaced, so we went over to Fantaseas and Patrick really helped out, he gave a couple 45 degree pvcs and a new gasket, we hooked it up to the sump directly instead of using the old hose connection, then everything hooked up fine until the second before John left he checked my ghetto fix on the return elbow and we noticed some condensation that was coming from it, I then shut the return and sump down, I will go by and pick up a 6' 3/4" hose from Patrick tomorrow and bypass the old shut off valve from the return and run it directly from the sump to the tank. So, right now the overflow works, well everything really works except for the small leak coming from my 'fix' of the return.

I will send over an update good or bad after the fix tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys and a HUGE thanks to John who is quite possibly one of the best guys I've met.

Thanks again!

Mike