Heaters

M.Wand

My Won Bros. Titanium just crapped out on me. (flame)

Can't say it is the first heater to go bad on me, won't be the last I'm sure. Wondering what everyone else is using. I need at least 300 watts, my preference is some type of heater that includes a thermometer of some sort so that I know what IT thinks is the temperature and then I can set it to come on accordingly.

Lise made a suggestion (thanks, BTW), and I'd like to get a further sense of the group. And by the way, if heaters are so crappy (and in my experience they are as well), how come none of us has invented a better one? I mean, most of us are spending $1k+ on our setups, how come all the heaters are under $100?? I'd shell out more clams to get one that will last and will actually be accurate, how come nobody sells one??

(threaten)

I bought a Finnex 800 watt titanium heater, and I have to agree. I don't understand why a heater can't be made that is accurate to less than a degree. Why do we have to buy a separate temp controller to handle the job?

Jay

I bought a Finnex 800 watt titanium heater, and I have to agree. I don't understand why a heater can't be made that is accurate to less than a degree. Why do we have to buy a separate temp controller to handle the job?

Jay

Umm... a separate temp controller? What's that? How do you hook it up? Who sells it? I'm thinking this is what I need right about now.(scratch)

ive heard people saying EBO Jagers are unreliable... ive had mine(black top,without knarled finger knob,not green)running for 7 1/2 years. not a problem ever... cant speak for the newer models but the oldy is holdin up....

Reynaldo

I will never use Ebo jagers except to warm up fresh NSW. I have 3 currently and all of them are WAY off. They turned to crap a few years ago when they got bought out. Go with titanium, i've had great success using marineland, and via aqua heaters. But i will never use a heater without a temp controller again, thats for sure!

M.Wand - there are lots of temp controllers on the market, some are integrated into full system controllers such as the ReefKeeper or AquaController. Also you can get a Ranco temp controller for a good price and it is very reliable. I picked one up new and pre wired for $80 shipped i think.