Pom Pom Crab FULL OF EGGS Maturnity Ward set up

squidster

Good Morning all.

Well, I just love new finds..

This morning Lowman (bob) was in the store and I mentioned I had 2 Pom Pom crabs in. "where are they" he said. So we went looking for them, and guess what? The first one found is full, I mean FULL of eggs.

Told Bob he couldn't have her (being selfish here) cause IF the eggs hatched, he wouldn't see or find the babies (not to mention they would be somethings food).

I decided to set up one of those little Deco Art aquariums (under 7 cups water), put some sand and water from the tank she was in, and added her to it.

So I now have a little maturnity ward set up and will watch to see how many eggs do hatch, and how many do survive.

Questions for all.

Do crabs really require water movement as much as fish? I don't think so, cause most of the time you find crabs under rocks away from the current. But, please let me know your thoughts.

If there is no water movement, how will she catch her food? Or does she scrape it off the rock?

If water movement, does anyone have a very very very small pump laying around that I could use for this little maturnity ward. The tank (HA, tank) measures 5 3/4 inches square.

I need batteries for my camera, so as soon as I get them, I will post pictures of her.

i doubt much flow would be needed, and any amount via a pump might break apart the tiny crab larvae during the pumping process. the best set up might just include a tank of healthy macroalgaes and some rock. and periodic doses of green water, rotifers and things of the tiniest nature.

my pom pom crabs used to breed regularly, but in a 120 gallon tank, no luck in saving them. there are a handful of threads on breeding lysomata shrimps, or cleaner shrimps on RC. that might be the best place to start. my cleaner shrimp larvae were always fairly large, compared to what i imagine pom pom crab larvae to be in size....

Maybe a single airline, without airstone, bubbling once a second or so to keep the water moving a bit. Back in my freshwater days, we were careful to keep some water movement in hatchery tanks to help against fungal infections and prevent a thin film of proteins forming on the surface (barrier to oxygen/co2 transfers). I imagine somethign similar would be good in marine environments.

Maybe a single airline' date=' without airstone, bubbling once a second or so to keep the water moving a bit. Back in my freshwater days, we were careful to keep some water movement in hatchery tanks to help against fungal infections and prevent a thin film of proteins forming on the surface (barrier to oxygen/co2 transfers). I imagine somethign similar would be good in marine environments.[/quote']

I was gonna suggest the same thing. Will help keep the water airated and give some water movement.