How fast? ..how much? ..how many?

andy

What 'rules of thumb' are people using when adding livestock to their systems? My tank has passed through it's microscopic mini-cycle (thanks to Keith's rock) and is ready for more. I've heard that corals and inverts can be added faster/more aggressively than fish since they present a much lower bioload -- any truth to that? How many/much coral would you add to your tank at a time to still be safe?

How about fish? Is there a good rule of thumb, or do you just watch the NH3/NO2/NO3 readings and feel safe to add again when things settle out?

I'm not looking to populate the entire tank overnight, just curious about good husbandry. Thanks!

If your readings are zero then I would say add a fish, but think about it for a while because you want to add them from the pasive to the aggresive. And make sure that its one you are going to want to keep because they are never easy to remove. I say add a small tang if your tank is large enough, that way it can feed on any algae that grows...

One viewpoint: Try to get an idea for what the critter eats. It will fill some space in the food chain and displace other animals in the process. At this point, it is the amount of food in the aquarium, and not necessarily the amount of livestock. With a new tank, this is not-so-much.

Another viewpoint: Add everything very slowly, and monitor ammonia spikes. Everything you will add to the tank will cause ammonia to spike somewhat, so use that as a gauge for safety.

I say add a small tang if your tank is large enough' date=' that way it can feed on any algae that grows...[/quote']

You peeked! (nono) My wife & kids bought me a Yellow Tang for Fathers' Day. He's munching through my GHA (as my son explains it) "like a lawnmower!" I'll have to pick up some Nori for him tomorrow I think.

My stock list looks something like:

Scooter Blenny (have)

Yellow Tang (have)

Rainfordi Goby (next?)

2 Percula/Ocellaris Clowns

Flame Angel or Coral Beauty

I think that's about all the fish I can reasonably fit, I might even be a little high with all that.

I would add a lawnmower blenny to the list. Just a cool, helpful fish that is very mellow. Do I assume you are going to put an anemone in with the clowns? If so, I would try to get the clowns and anemone all at the same time so that you know you have a hosting pair. I think your list of fish looks good. Rainsfords can also get along with each other so you could get more then one if you wanted. A mellow fish with not much of a bioload. And beneficial also. Also keeps its color as it matures. Just me 2 bits. I would be patient in adding them. It makes the tank more fun when you add stuff every once in awhile instead of major additions. I would get the angel as the last fish.

I was planning on adding the Angel last. As I understand it, they are the most teritorial critter on my list and should be added last because of it. I also want an anemone for the clowns, so they'll wait until the tank is mature enough for the anemone -- a few months from now, minimum.

I'l like to get a bit more motion in the tank, so I think the Rainfordii is next. Once he's in, I'll focus on corals for a bit. Thanks for all the advice everyone, nice to know I'm on the right track.

Sorry if this is a little late but i like to get a invert and hardy coral base going first fish are nutrient producers and corals are nutreint takers , corals such as zoo's most leathers and majority of LPS are good to start with now also i stay away from fish that will predtorize your growing micro fauna unless your using a refungium but always better to get good colonys of critters going first before preditors are added like blennys,grammas,hawkfish ext.Ive found tank balances quicker also as mentioned above do all additions in moderation this is the hardest part be pateint and only add one to two things at time and give a week or two between times its hard but it will save your pocket book and a headache lol but with this said you do want a few fish to help feed the tank and corals so my first are usally chromis then later someone in the tang family.

Understood and agreed, Reefboy -- however (isn't there always a 'but' ;) ), I took about 110lbs of Ahbrits rock so am absolutely dirty with 'pods and related microfauna. Now, my substrate is still a bit bare so I'm completely avoiding any sandsifters but otherwise the tank is a lot more mature than one would think given it's calendar age.

That being said, I'm still not looking to add any more fish right now. I'm happy with the current vertibrate population (though if any Rainfordii Gobies show up I'll have problems :) ), and am looking to buff up the invert population like you suggest. Thanks!