crashed tank, does it need to cycle again?

miatang

Around 2 weeks ago my 72 gallon reef tank which was flourishing up to that point,started showing signs of something very wrong, fish started to die and corals were closing up. I immediately transferred what livestock I could to another tank I had running and was able to save a couple of fish and 1 coral. Within 2-3 days, even the B-worms had come to the sand surface and died. I cleaned out what I could that was dead and did water changes. I had the water tested at a LFS and it seemed fine. They even tested it for copper and it was negative. LFS thought that something must have fallen in tank to poison it. I emptied the tank this weekend, stirred up the sand, and vacuumed as much of the yuck on top of the sand I could but found nothing strange. Cleaned out the filter, replaced heater with a new one in case it was damaged. I then put all new saltwater in it and replaced the live rock which was kept damp overnight in separate bins.

I am on the fence about if this tank needs to cycle again since I have all new salt water. While trying to get all of the yuck off the sand, I did use straight fresh water with some Prime to vacuum up.

Am I truly starting from scratch again?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The only thing you can do is wait and test it. There should not be a HUGE cycle, but even damp/towel on the LR can cause some die-off. You will probably get a small cycle out of this event.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you can recover from it.

dsoz :)