Livestock disappearing / dying

Livestock disappearing / dying (scratch)

Hello fellow aquarium enthusiasts. I think I may have a problem. For the last few months I’ve had a slow decrease in fish population. At first thought I blamed a bad attitude fish who has been in quarantine for a few weeks now but after adding a few more fish, all of them have passed. All levels seem to be ok. If it is a sickness, it seems to not affect my maroon clown, orchid dottyback (neon phuedochromis), and inverts but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Eric

Have you noticed anything on the fish that died, just before they do?; like white spots, heavy breathing, or anything that will help us narrow things down.

Post your levels too. Are they taken with a reliable test kit?

Might be able to help if you can post more/any other info.

I have considered predation because I noticed the psudochromis being a stinker, but also possibly a crab. I've never seen a crab though. Possibly a hitchhiker? Sometimes I never see a fish again. I'm wondering if there is a sickness that possibly my maroon clown and psudochromis could be immune?

Here are my levels:

Salinity: 1.022

PH: 8.2

Nitrates: 30 ppm

Nitrites: undetectable

Ammonia: undetectable

The test kit is Aquarium systems (manufactures of Instant Ocean). It did Expire Dec of 04.

Thanks for the welcome. We have met nice people who told us about this site in fish stores. We look forward to contributing and participating.

Thanks again.

Eric and Sherridan

First off I would get some new test kits and re-test. Or have a LFS do it for you if possible. three year old test kits can give WRONG results. If you are find any bodies at all I would say it's a sickness or maybe a water quality issue. If you are NOT finding bodies I would lean towards a predator, unless you have a massive clean-up crew that could remove a body overnight.

Get the water tested first and then lets go from there.

Welcom to this site!

I am not sure how large the tank is, but I would definately consider doing a water change. I am sure you do these regularly, but I would try doing around a 30% change this time. Your nitrates are on the high side, although not typically in the death zone. They could however be much higher than your test kit is reading due to how old it is.

In anycase, it never hurts to do a good size water change in an event like this.

Thanks for posting,

Garrett

By the way, I haven't seen any bodies that seemed stressed ( white dots, etc.) but just this morning my diamond gobie, had quite a kink in his back.

Eric

That is an interesting "symptom" and sounds like a sign of predation. To my knowledge, a kink in a fish spine is usually an indicator of a genetic defect and in that case, you probably would have noticed it earlier... maybe your gobie escaped from a mantis shrimp? I had a tiny mantis shrimp, maybe half inch big that did nothing but scurry here and there but they vary in size and are very fast. Could be one in your tank getting hungry? I like this link for mantis shrimp: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Good luck!

How long do you acclimate new fish before introducing them to the system? Although this may be a problem, I do think it is predation. How long has this tank been set up? Add any new live rock lately?

And...

(welcome) (To) (P) (N) (W) (M) (A) (S)

Jay

hello guys, I'm so sorry to reply late. I did a water change, got a new kit and tested the same items. All of my levels are just fine. I have tested the tank with a volt meter for a current but found nothing. I have not tested for Alkalinity, magnesium, or calcium. This is something to consider?

My tank has been setup for about 5 years, but just recently we moved into the state. I haven't added any new rocks in the last 6 months. Could a mantis shrimp "grow up" and start problems?

Would he hurt my fire shrimp?

Thanks again guys.

Eric

I have not tested for Alkalinity, magnesium, or calcium. This is something to consider?

My tank has been setup for about 5 years, but just recently we moved into the state. I haven't added any new rocks in the last 6 months. Could a mantis shrimp "grow up" and start problems?

Thanks again guys.

Eric

While it doesn't hurt to know where your magnesium and calcium levels are- I'm not sure I've heard that they would affect your fish significantly. Alkalinity might be more important- too low and your tank could suffer from significant pH swings, too high could result in an excessively high pH (I'm going to have to go back and see what you reported) which could be detrimental.

Mantis shrimp could grow up and start problems. Generally you'd here the tell-tale clicking sound, though. Xanthid crab(s) would be more difficult to find- pretty much have to really be looking for them especially after dark.

hey there welcome to the site id say its two things either a bad fish or the fish your buying are from a bad source but will hope its the later anyways youve ben doing this for 5 years your no noobie to tank parameters but i never heard if this was a reef or fish only but if fish are easy to catch you might ask your local dealer to hold if they have a tank to do so then add new fish to see if they live if they do you know you had a murder on your hands and you might want to ask to eitheir swap both or trade in for diff fish