93 gallon Marineland cube

XrayGuy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of questions for you' date=' just got my 93 cube and was wondering how many lbs of dry rock did you end up using. Also how deep did the 40 lbs of sand make your sandbed. Trying to get a rough idea of what I need to buy.[/quote']

The dry rock I estimate is about 90-100 lbs...it was a short Brute garbage can full. Sand is about 3-4" deep all around.

Looking good. How high was the water level in the sump when you turn the return pump off?

Power off water level is about 1/2" from the top of the sump. I had it lower than that originally, but not enough water was getting into my return section and I could not get the return and the herbie to balance unless I added more water. Might be an issue with my baffles, but anyways it is working now and I have turned power off a number of times to double check to make sure there is no DT siphon back...there isn't thank goodness! I am definitely a believer of that siphon hole in the lock line.

Got my ATO in the mail today and hooked it up. Works great so far! Not sure about keeping the 5gal jug there permanently, but for now it will work fine because I will be easy for me to fill back up right there. Once I get a dosing pump, I will have to move stuff around a bit.

IMG_5549_zps9bf17ce0.jpg

My tubing kept wanting to curl up inside the jug instead of staying at the bottom, so I attached a standard straw to the end of it to add just enough weight and now it is pointed at the bottom perfectly! I also drilled a hole through the cap of the jug to assist with same issue.

IMG_5554_zpsb7015f6d.jpg

IMG_5555_zps73bfd642.jpg

I have the end of the tubing secured to my drain pipe to make sure that it is above the aqualifter.

IMG_5551_zps5296fcb2.jpg

IMG_5553_zps1be83a73.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little update. Decided to get a second Ocean Revive Arctic T247. I want to be sure that I have enough light coverage for the tank for any type of corals I may want to throw in there. Adding the second light to my DIY hanger was a bit of a challenge though because the wire that attaches the wire kit to the fixture is only long enough to orient on the short sides, but about an inch or 2 short of being able to go the long way. So I ended up getting these little copper wire stoppers along with 14" stainless steel wire to be able to make new longer wires to orient the lights the other direction...if that all makes sense. Also, attaching the copper stoppers to the wire was unsuccessful with solder, but I got some super glue and that worked like a charm...I should have just done that to begin with. Anyways, I let them cure up and pulled on them as hard as I could to ensure that they were attached to the wires really well...don't want my lights falling in the tank.

AFTER

IMG_5654_zps120042df.jpg

IMG_5659_zps57e47ccf.jpg

IMG_5663_zps331124e3.jpg

BEFORE

IMG_5529_zpsc2d68c7a.jpg

IMG_5530_zps551a1509.jpg

I am also debating whether to put some black paper or whatever on the back of the tank so that the wires and wall are not visible, but then I will not be able to look in from that back glass if I want to see something from that view. I am ordering longer power cords for the lights so that I can run the cords along the light hanging bar, so it will mainly just be the wall and the powerhead wires that will be seen. Thoughts?

Home depot or lowes I'm sure sells it. Just the flat aluminum pieces. Drill holes in it and spray paint it black too.

btw, hows the noise in the overflow with the water cascading in? I got my plumbing all set up and been doing test runs. Found a couple of leaks where the thread connections are. Anyway, the water cascading in is audible. Did you do anything to minimize splashing? or is your backup pipe so high there is no splashing?

Home depot or lowes I'm sure sells it. Just the flat aluminum pieces. Drill holes in it and spray paint it black too.

btw, hows the noise in the overflow with the water cascading in? I got my plumbing all set up and been doing test runs. Found a couple of leaks where the thread connections are. Anyway, the water cascading in is audible. Did you do anything to minimize splashing? or is your backup pipe so high there is no splashing?

Cool I will check HD and see what they have.

As for overflow noise, I originally had cut my emergency drain pipe to a couple inches below the wier (sp?) and there was definitely some water sound. So I took some scrap PVC I had the other day and made a little cap extension thing so that the drain is a little taller gain (did not want to shut the whole thing down to take that drain pipe out, hence I just made an extension) and now it is super quiet. I would say the pipe is now about 1/2" below the wier now. Now I just have some humming from my return pump, but I will just have to live with that.

I also went to TAP plastics yesterday and got some acrylic trim pieces that I will be using to make some screens for the cube and my nano tank. I got the acrylic from TAP because I want to try to make the screen as invisible as possible. Just waiting for the clear screen mesh to arrive from BRS so I can start. Will update when I get that those together

Vanz I did it! Thank you for the idea. I like that the lights will always be aligned together now and less hooks/wires to look at. Home Depot, 2x 3' aluminum flat pieces, power drill to drill a few holes, bolt cutters to clip the sides, and some spray paint :)

IMG_5668_zps4ffdc41b.jpg

IMG_5670_zps2afc093b.jpg

IMG_5672_zps114a874d.jpg

IMG_5673_zps7c162cea.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It has been a bit since I last updated. Tank is cycled and have been filling it up with livestock the past couple of weeks. Everything is doing great!

FTS from the front

IMG_4413_zps62573adf.jpg

From left side

IMG_4415_zps169d35c6.jpg

From right side

IMG_4416_zps8f6c8068.jpg

And some misc pics

WestsideTricolor

IMG_4408_zps83324a0f.jpg

Rainbow acan colony

IMG_4404_zps672f7317.jpg

Derasa clam

IMG_4405_zps45d27c9a.jpg

Cleaner shrimp and Forest Fire monti

IMG_4409_zps51c692df.jpg

Frogspawn colony

IMG_4406_zps0530890b.jpg

Yellow torch frag

IMG_4403_zps41cf3f0d.jpg

Some kind of spongodes/monti?

IMG_4401_zps32297bd2.jpg

Acans

IMG_4400_zpsdc2749b0.jpg

Purple firefish

IMG_4396_zps8c069024.jpg

Octo-frogspawn colony

IMG_4391_zpsa8dc51e7.jpg

Fire and Ice zoos

IMG_4365_zpsff1d1cb0.jpg

Eagle eye zoos colony

IMG_4373_zps7c3e8b2c.jpg

Midas Blenny

IMG_4340_zpsbbddaf51.jpg

IMG_4337_zpsc9544947.jpg

Melanurus wrasse

IMG_4398_zps377dd3c1.jpg

German blue digitata

IMG_4343_zps6b7588fa.jpg

Purple dottyback

IMG_4336_zpsb9174fa8.jpg

Baby ricrodias

IMG_4334_zpsd30a9a67.jpg

Thanks everyone! It will be fun to watch everything grow and fill in so the rocks don't seem so bare. Going to keep adding stuff though of course! Special thanks to Jeff at Cuttlefish for hooking me up with some great livestock! Also thanks to matt and ssappington for some awesome stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great' date=' can't wait to start mine. I will be going with the ocean revive arctic t247 also but I'm getting 4. I think I'm going to start my tank thread now :rolleyes:[/quote']

Thanks! 4 over a 93? I thought I was overdoing it a bit with the two haha. I'll have to tag along in your thread.