Hypo

Gill

So I have had my DT in hypo for a long while now :(

I still see one spot on my blue tang!!!! I have the SG at 1.010 and I guess I need to drop it more, at least 1.009. My question is simply who else has used/is using hypo and what was your experience and how low did you go and how long did it take? I really wish I could re-home my black spot angle since her prescience is really stressing out the tang, however I can't do this with out raising the salinity back to normal which will take at a minimum 6 days.

Ya I had to move all my corals into a QT. I've been waiting for that last spot for soooo long :( Everytime I see no spots a week or two later one more shows up. I was supposed to drop it to 1.009 so I guess that's why it's not working. To be clear it is mostly working just not getting that last spot. I feel like if my blue wasn't so stressed all the time he would be able to fight it off. :(

I bet! 2 weeks sometimes feels like 2 months in this hobby

The worst part is the temporary tank I setup for the coral was never intended to be up this long. All it has is a Koralia for flow and a compact fluorescent for light. My nems don't seem to mind though, I just have to remember to get put a heater in there...

The whole thing confuses me . I know fish in the ocean don't go in qt . When there caught and stuck in a bag that's stressfull so out comes the ich . Then when we get them its placing them in a qt with the ich to not infect your dt then treat there or whatever freshwater dip with a sprinkle of kalk really kills the flat worms btw it gross watching them fall off I guess that gets rid off ich as well but after that what do you do I know ich has a life cycle and if you don't add any new fish it should run its course and die right ? I guess what I'm trying to say isn't it easier and less stressful for the fish to leave it in the dt feed with heavy garlic selcon nori sheets beef it's immune system up so it has the ability to keep its slime coat and fight off the ich itself then . The whole thing confuses me

The whole thing confuses me . I know fish in the ocean don't go in qt . When there caught and stuck in a bag that's stressfull so out comes the ich . Then when we get them its placing them in a qt with the ich to not infect your dt then treat there or whatever freshwater dip with a sprinkle of kalk really kills the flat worms btw it gross watching them fall off I guess that gets rid off ich as well but after that what do you do I know ich has a life cycle and if you don't add any new fish it should run its course and die right ? I guess what I'm trying to say isn't it easier and less stressful for the fish to leave it in the dt feed with heavy garlic selcon nori sheets beef it's immune system up so it has the ability to keep its slime coat and fight off the ich itself then . The whole thing confuses me

From what I've read, ich grows in the fish (if it has it) then jumps off the gills into the sand breeds then the cycle continues, if is in the sand it can pass to the other fish then continue its life, in the qt the ich has no where to go so the goal is to have it die without breeding, once the fish out lasts the ich and gets better throw them in te dt.

Also in a qt you don't have corals so you can use more medicational techniques like copper, and other medications etc to help kill the worm, parasite, bacteria infection whatever it may be, also just to prevent it from passing through out your other fish,

Personally, it can be stressful on the fish. But I feel helping it is still better than taking the risk of it not being healthy.

I have had ick in the system for over two years, it's come and gone but never really been an issue. Then I added two new fish, a yellow tang and swallowtail angle. The yellow got the ick pretty bad and I didn't want to loose either of the new fish so I decided to rid the tank once and for all. At this point I am seriously considering taking them out of hypo (I literally only see one spot) and removing the angle. The blue is really stressed by the presence of the angle and I belive this is why he can't kick that last spot that keeps showing up. I really wish I could just re-home the angle but you have to bring fish out of hypo slowly.

That could be argued as well .. I guess it's all personal preference and what works for you .what I'm saying is for instance my blue tang . Since I got the clown hosting the nem its beating the heck out of the tang . Now it has the ich the clown however is completely healthy and has not one sign of anything . It's obvious that stress lowers immunity . So simply fixing what the issues are in my case getting rid of the killer clownfish . The tang will simply feel a relief gain his slime coat fight the ich off right .. Because like I said most if not all fish has this in the ocean it just there able to to fight it off . Idk I'm crazy .

See but that's kinda proving my point you had it in the system but the new fish stressed it out and it showed up that's all I'm saying I had a yellow tang that slept right above a snowflakes hole the tang was tore up had the start of hlle ich fins all gnarled so I decided to start with garlic and selcon nothing decided to stay in front of the tank and watch a few hours see what was going on and sure enough every five minutes the eels biting his arse ... Removed the eel . A week later no ich big nasty hole in head gone .. Happy fish out grew my tank and is happily alive today ... Jmo ..

That could be argued as well .. I guess it's all personal preference and what works for you .what I'm saying is for instance my blue tang . Since I got the clown hosting the nem its beating the heck out of the tang . Now it has the ich the clown however is completely healthy and has not one sign of anything . It's obvious that stress lowers immunity . So simply fixing what the issues are in my case getting rid of the killer clownfish . The tang will simply feel a relief gain his slime coat fight the ich off right .. Because like I said most if not all fish has this in the ocean it just there able to to fight it off . Idk I'm crazy .

I totally agree, I think stress is the reason fish can't fight off ick. However I also believe you can rid a tank of ick. I guess what it comes down to was I wasn't willing to risk loosing the fish. Ick can explode if you create the perfect storm of stress and susceptible fish ie tangs and I had a bad feeling that I had done exactly that.

Sucks the blue tangs and the powder blues take it so bad . I forgot to mention that during the whole thing I dipped the yellow it was gone for a day or two and came back with a vengeance I def did more bad than good chasing him with a net dipping it in fresh water only to put him back in with the eel . This was my first tank yellow tang in a thirty gallon doesn't have much room to get away . Lesson learned . . I hope your fish get well and you can rid the tank of it . Gl

I did have a thought (scary)

Many of your nitrogen cycling bacteria may be killed off by being in a hypo enviroment. I wonder if this could start your tank to recycle (scratch). I don't really know for sure so hopefully some one with more knowlage will chime in here.

I did have a thought (scary)

Many of your nitrogen cycling bacteria may be killed off by being in a hypo enviroment. I wonder if this could start your tank to recycle (scratch). I don't really know for sure so hopefully some one with more knowlage will chime in here.

I actually lowered the salinity slowly to avoid that, it also gave the ick a fighting chance. After two months if I had no beneficial bacteria my fish would have all died from ammonia long ago. LOL. You do make a good point though and it is a real concern for anyone who decides to hypo their display.

Sucks the blue tangs and the powder blues take it so bad . I forgot to mention that during the whole thing I dipped the yellow it was gone for a day or two and came back with a vengeance I def did more bad than good chasing him with a net dipping it in fresh water only to put him back in with the eel . This was my first tank yellow tang in a thirty gallon doesn't have much room to get away . Lesson learned . . I hope your fish get well and you can rid the tank of it . Gl

It does suck, they are my favorite fish too. I have heard of achillies being completely covered in ick with out a single spot being present on any of the other fish. :( Your totally right about chasing fish with a net making things worse, IMO the same goes for putting fish in cramped quarters for long periods of time. By dropping the SG in the display I feel that I diverted the stress and risk onto the corals, it was a hard decision but in the end I am much more attached to my fish and I feel that the stress put on the coral would be far less than the stress would be for the fish. It's just unfortunate that I can't remove the angle now. :( I think I am just going to have to find someone who will take the angle in advance (someone with a QT ) and then deliver 6 days later.

If anyone reading this is interested in the angle she would be free on the condition you can adequately provide for her IE you would need to have experience and a large enough system. I have grown really attached to this angle and only want her to go to a good home.