Presentation to 3x3rd grade classes

PeteRock

I'll be speaking at a Gresham elementary school to three third grade classes on Thursday afternoon. @ 90 of the little ones. (scary) They are learning about marine biology and seem to be having a tough time understanding what coral are (plants/animals/platimals). I'm starting to put together my presentation, but was wondering if any of the TFT folks had any lessons, activities or tips they could share with me.

I'd like to have some sort of activity and will put together a PP deck to have nice visuals. I'll pass around some skeleton frags (RIP) so they have stuff to look at.

If anyone has anything to share let me know,

My addy for docs is pete_blum_17 at hot mail

Thanks,

Pete

Will it be 90 kids all at one time? I would end the powerpoint with a visual quiz on something like live vs. dead and animal vs. plant. If the budget allows a color worksheet would be cool for them to take home. Make sure you have the pnwmas logo on the page with the website. You could also if the class is small enough, after the pp to have them line up and go from one side to the other to answer questions. For example, if you think xenia is a plant move to the left, if you think it is an animal move to the right, if you don't know for sure stand in the middle. Kids that age like active participation but remember it will also get them really excited!!! Good luck. Hope this helps.

Yup, 90 of all at the same time in the music room. I'll have 3-4 teachers there to help with the "active" ones, so thats good. Great suggestions, thanks. I'll use that get into groups based on what you think idea for sure that perfect.

Bonus about it is I'm learning a TON of stuff I never knew getting this all together. Thanks again. I'll report back on how it went.

pm me if you need any help or more tips. My first teaching job was 4th graders. Main thing to remember is that they are full of energy and excited about what they are learning. Most of the side talking that they will be doing will be about what you are teaching!!!