Sump and lighting ?

spectra

Hello this is my first post here and am not really new to reef tanks but have not had one in about 6 yrs. And let me tell you yhings have changed from then. Ok question that I have I am putting a 29 gallon glass tank together for my sons room. He wanted something and figured since I would have to tale care of it go with the SW. Do I need a sump or will a good base of sand with a bunch of Lr and a good HOT skimmer do the trick? I know the sumps are good but do not really want to try and drill the glass. Any info helps also if you know what kind of lighting would work let me know .

Thanks!

:D Welcome!

You might just get a hang-on skimmer, since the tank is pretty small. The small SeaClone is for tanks up to 100g and it's Venturi Injection, so I'm sure that'll do the trick. It's $65, but you don't have to drill or buy a sump if you go this route. http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=51308112&EID=51308112&SID=FROOGLE

As for lighting, what do you plan on keeping?

Good luck!

You don't have to have a sump. If i were going with a HOB skimmer, i'd go with the Coralife super skimmers. They are inexpensive and do a decent job for what they are. I had something similar on my 29gal tank, except that i had a sump. I had bad luck using the Aqua C Remora, but they also get good reviews.

Oh yah, WELCOME TO THE SITE!! :D

Miles

Welcome. I have been back in the hobby about 1 or 2 months. I am running skimmerless, and sumpless, right now. I hope to fix that in the next couple of months.

I researched this a lot lately. A Coralife SuperSkimmer is good for the price, but the AquaC remora is supposed to be a lot better skimmer, but a lot more money. I am trying to get an AquaC used from another person here.

There are people here that have a lot of used equipment laying around. Post a WTB (want to buy) in the classified section and ask for a skimmer. When I did this I had several people message me to offer one.

Good luck, and how old is the son that will "own" the tank?

Make sure you post pictures of your process. :) We all love pics!

Welcome- I don't run my 40 gallon with a sump. Skimmer is just a CPR Bak-Pak. Contrary to what you hear, it works just fine. I do have a HOB filter I've pulled the sponge from and replaced with a couple of small pieces of live rock, not really needed but contributes to extra flow. I have a deep sand bed and run carbon too.

Thanks for all the replys and info. The son is 7 and hopefully can teach him a few things with this. Mostly I wanted another SW set up so figured if I am going to take care of it might as well do it my way:) So after hearing this I figure I will ry it sumpless and get a good skimmer. I have a line on a Remora pro that is used so might have to get it. And am picking up some lights tom. night after work. Going with one MH and couple VHOs. And as for the money yeah I know it can be expensive but it is nice and relaxing just sitting and watching:D And will try and post pics as I go.

Thanks again!