Firefish goby, how many?

Derbird

Hello everyone

I have been thinking of getting some firefish goby's for a while now. I was wondering if more then two can be kept together? My original thought was to do 3 Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica) and 2 Purple Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris decora). I also love the Helfrichi Firefis (Nemateleotris helfrichi) but could not ever bring myself to pay $100 for a 2" fish, but its sooo purdy (drooler)

After doing some homework online I am more confused then ever. It seems half the sites say they are peaceful and will do well in large groops while the other half say a pair at most in one tank. This is the problem the the internet DOH!

Also are they a sesonal fish? I saw a ton of them in the summer and have not seen any lately at the LFS.

My tank is a 6' 120 gallon with a 40 ish gallon sump

Other fish

Blue Damselfish - Chrysiptera cyanea

2 False Percula Clownfish -Amphiprion ocellaris

Dragon Goby, Amblygobius phalaena

Eight Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus octotaenia)

Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus)

Plus my CUC of course

Any experinces or thoughts are welcome

In the wild they are found in groups. The issue is odd numbers really, if your group is less than 10 or so. Much like it was thought you couldnt keep more than one Centropyge angel per tank, the issue is when you try to keep them in groups that dont mimic their natural groupings.

In groups smaller than "10" they tend to "buddy" up and then the odd fish out gets bullied. In bigger groups this is reduced greatly. I may be doing some research on the intraspecific and interspecific group dynamics of the family Ptereleotridae as a research project for school. I'll keep you posted.

In the wild they are found in groups. The issue is odd numbers really' date=' if your group is less than 10 or so. Much like it was thought you couldnt keep more than one [i']Centropyge[/i] angel per tank, the issue is when you try to keep them in groups that dont mimic their natural groupings.

In groups smaller than "10" they tend to "buddy" up and then the odd fish out gets bullied. In bigger groups this is reduced greatly. I may be doing some research on the intraspecific and interspecific group dynamics of the family Ptereleotridae as a research project for school. I'll keep you posted.

Interesting, it may be my old freshwater days talking but I always thought odd number groups were more stable. At least for tetras (laugh)

Magnifica schools much more readily than decora. They are more solitary. I havent had good luck mixing the species so I usually recommend picking one type. I like magnifica most

Its funny that there would be such a difference in behavor. Too bad about not mixing the species it would be a great display, but I want happy fish so I may just have to go with the Magnifica. I agree they are the most eye pleasing and cheaper too.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I think I may have to go with four Magnifica, even numbers seem so weird (nutty) If anyone has any more info to share I won't palce the order just yet :)

I know two people one who bought 6 and another who bought 4 of the Magnifica hoping they would school up. In both cases all the fish grouped into individual pairs.

I would not have a problem with them pairing off. Don't get me wrong a school of them would be a sight to see but I love the color they add. And with them being a small fish they won't add too much to my bio load.

Archived