Jase's 57 Gallon Oceanic Rimless Peninsula!

jadams7

So long story short, my company was going to move me far far away, and at the last minute found us a spot closer to home in Longview Washington! We were very happy we didnt have to move far away, and after selling off a good portion of my saltwater stuff, I get to start a new tank now that we are all settled into our new place in Longview.

We are renting a place, so I did not want to set up anything that might get anyone angry, so I am setting up a 57g Oceanic Illuminata Peninsula style so it will be viewable by both sides.

I had Dave (davey jones locker) build me the stand, and he did an awesome job!

photobucket-2005-1324232637385.jpg

photobucket-4404-1324232611247.jpg

photobucket-454-1324232583170.jpg

photobucket-5362-1324232556489.jpg

photobucket-506-1324232518711.jpg

photobucket-5689-1324232491028.jpg

photobucket-5104-1324232376441.jpg

After we got the stand from Dave, I drilled my holes for the overflow. I want to try to run the beananimal overlow that I have heard great things about...

photobucket-638-1324232463678.jpg

photobucket-5092-1324232408993.jpg

Charles (wannareef) built me a sweet black acrylic overflow and back panel that I attached and started the plumbing...

photobucket-1606-1324232303819.jpg

photobucket-2053-1324232267868.jpg

photobucket-4460-1324232234764.jpg

photobucket-5229-1324232202212.jpg

and about 200 trips to Lowes later...

photobucket-4643-1324232166111.jpg

photobucket-2033-1324232138448.jpg

photobucket-2017-1324232110615.jpg

photobucket-5203-1324232081104.jpg

photobucket-5542-1324232049699.jpg

So after going wild with the silicone around all the bulkheads, I attached my light holder, and set everything in place...

photobucket-5149-1324231985223.jpg

photobucket-564-1324231933179.jpg

photobucket-1184-1324231879038.jpg

photobucket-4311-1324231829787.jpg

photobucket-4514-1324231796608.jpg

photobucket-4397-1324231764493.jpg

And I am going to try black sand out this time around. I know I will most likely regret it, but its one of those lessons I know I am going to have to learn the hard way. Plus it was one of the selling points for the wife on having a tank that sticks out from the wall.

The idea is to do a minimalist tank. Have smaller amounts of rock in the tank, and load up the little room I do have in the sump with rock.

So as it sits now, the tank has just been cycling with water. I will grab a couple pictures here of the sump. Over Christmas break I will be grabbing all of my live rock from Roger (Mr S) who has been great in holding my livestock for me until I was all ready for it. About a week after that, I will be grabbing my corals from him as well.

Welcome to Cowlitz County! It's great to have more reefers in the area. Let me know if you need anything, I live just 15-20 minutes away and work in Kelso.

The new tank looks fantastic. Nice, clean & well thought out.

Thanks! We will have to meet up at some point soon, I am going through reef withdrawals with no stores around here!

Looks really nice. Not that it matters to me but is your wife alright with the pipes being exposed? I would love to have done something like that but my wife would have wanted some sort of a cover for them.

Actually yes, thanks for reminding me. Dave is going to be building me a little piece to cover up the plumbing that matches the stand, I just need to get him the dimensions. I wanted to wait until all of the plumbing was done so I knew what I would need. And yep, the wife has already made it known that she wants a cover for them! haha

Love it! Gonna be an awesome tank. Minimalist for sure.

Thanks! I am toying around with possibly drilling some rock, and using acrylic rods to raise it up off of the sand bed, but we will see. Its hard to plan stuff out without my rock here in front of me.

Wow' date=' very nice looking set-up. Are you going to use the LED fixture we bought in the group buy or are you going to go with something different?[/quote']

Thanks. Yep I will be using the led from the group buy for a while. I actually will be getting some of their new model (more blue in color, new housing, dimmable, moonlights, etc) that I will probably end up running once I get it.

Great start!

It looks like that tank was cut for an external overflow, just curious why didn't you utilize that?

There was an edge cut down for an external already, but it needed some work still with polishing up the edge, and the cut wasnt all that even. I wanted to have a black back, and decided it might just be easier to put a black acrylic piece over the back instead of trying to paint the back and then try to attach an overflow so that I wouldnt see the box line from the inside of the tank (if that makes sense). Hindsight being what it is, I could have just rotated the acrylic piece I got around to be external, had the acrylic wall taken down to match the cut out overflow area, save me a couple inches, and still look fine from the inside most likely. But I was really nervous about the bonding of glass to acrylic where the seam would be the only thing keeping out the water, and having all of my water flowing out from that point, so I went this route instead. Either probably would have worked out just fine, I was just being a little picky when it came down to it.

Ask and you shall receive!

For flow in the tank, I have a mp10 running right now, I also have an MP40w ES (that I would like to sell off to get two more mp10s), and then the return split off with two flow accelerators. Getting plenty of flow right now with just the return and mp10 running, but we will see what I do once I get my rock in there.

photobucket-503-1324599570453.jpg

photobucket-3027-1324599605544.jpg

And here is what I am doing for a sump (for now). I plan on getting a better sump, but in the mean time I am just using a 20g long. Running a mag7 for a return, filter sock, heater, and my new cone skimmer. Pretty basic setup in there so far. I added a light so the sump area can be lit if I want, other than that, nothing too crazy so far. The sump will probably be the first area I upgrade after the holidays.

photobucket-565-1324599637398.jpg

photobucket-3367-1324599662961.jpg

photobucket-1521-1324599687574.jpg

photobucket-2861-1324599712540.jpg

photobucket-2861-1324599712540.jpg

Don't forget that with a Beananimal overflow you need to have the cap on one of the downturned elbows vented, preferably with a tube leading into your overflow. I didn't see this in any of your photos, and it's important that only one of the downturned elbows be a full siphon.

(Edited because I looked again at the pictures and the 2nd part of my comment did not apply)

Don't forget that with a Beananimal overflow you need to have the cap on one of the downturned elbows vented, preferably with a tube leading into your overflow. I didn't see this in any of your photos, and it's important that only one of the downturned elbows be a full siphon.

(Edited because I looked again at the pictures and the 2nd part of my comment did not apply)

Yep, there is a hole drilled in the middle cap. The overflow system works great, I have not added in a tube as of yet, mainly because I do not see the point. Why would a tube sticking out sucking air be better off than that same cap without a tube? Am I missing something here because it runs amazing without it, and if I can save one more trip to Lowes I'm all for it.

Yep' date=' there is a hole drilled in the middle cap. The overflow system works great, I have not added in a tube as of yet, mainly because I do not see the point. Why would a tube sticking out sucking air be better off than that same cap without a tube? Am I missing something here because it runs amazing without it, and if I can save one more trip to Lowes I'm all for it.[/quote']

I know what you're thinking re: the hose simply being a longer extension of the hole in the cap, but that's not *only* what it does.

The hose is meant to curve over and be mounted just below the point where the 3rd "emergency" overflow would start to kick in. What this does is kick the 2nd drain (with the hose) to a full siphon before the 3rd drain ever kicks in. When the water level drains back down, the end of the hose is uncovered again and it all goes back to normal.

You're right: you don't NEED this functionality, but it's a built-in system emergency redundancy in case one or more of the main overflow pipes get (partially) blocked. For $2 of materials, it's peace of mind knowing that this overflow system will essentially never fail. You can always grab the couple of pieces sometime on a future trip when you're already at the store. :)

-Mike

I know what you're thinking re: the hose simply being a longer extension of the hole in the cap, but that's not *only* what it does.

The hose is meant to curve over and be mounted just below the point where the 3rd "emergency" overflow would start to kick in. What this does is kick the 2nd drain (with the hose) to a full siphon before the 3rd drain ever kicks in. When the water level drains back down, the end of the hose is uncovered again and it all goes back to normal.

You're right: you don't NEED this functionality, but it's a built-in system emergency redundancy in case one or more of the main overflow pipes get (partially) blocked. For $2 of materials, it's peace of mind knowing that this overflow system will essentially never fail. You can always grab the couple of pieces sometime on a future trip when you're already at the store. :)

-Mike

Thanks for the clarification on that for me. As for now i think I will just run it without the tube, I like the idea of it being louder should anything go wrong. Also with the amount of flow I am running, should both of the regular drains get clogged up for whatever reason, the emergency can handle the full amount, unless something clogged up that one too...and if all 3 get clogged, I have bigger problems at that point haha

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is a bit of an update. The past couple of weeks were pretty busy. I grabbed my rock and corals from Roger, (rock one week, corals the next). Everything seems to be happy and extending out like I would have hoped. I also got Aquaman30k's carpet anemone in a trade I did with him a while back. He has been kind enough to keep it for me this long. Everything is looking pretty healthy, next up will be mounting the corals on the sand onto the rock, to keep everything real clean looking. Got the skimmer running a couple days ago as well, and it is pulling out some good crap already!

For the future...looking for suggestions for fish, any ideas?? I dont want many, just a couple cool ones ya dont see every day.

photobucket-3453-1325629618088.jpg

photobucket-3456-1325629667870.jpg

photobucket-2024-1325629709708.jpg

photobucket-1140-1325629767998.jpg

photobucket-2765-1325629866842.jpg

photobucket-866-1325629940703.jpg

photobucket-3408-1325629992361.jpg

photobucket-3240-1325630033511.jpg