Moving to Bend Or.

seafishinmn

Hello from MN. Am planning on a move .next spring to Bend Oregon, and was hoping to find members in the area.

I currently have a 3 year old established 75 gallon reef tank. I began this hobby 3 years ago when I jumped in and purchased a used 55-gallon tank set-up a member in the area had. Came home, then did my research and decided it was too small etc.

Anyway, located a used 75g with sump. Built my own stand and slowly added coral and fish a couple months later.

i love this hobby and all it has to offer. My hopes are to get my tank set up there, but suppose i will have to sell what livestock I have now and then move... Has anyone tried moving across country with their tanks? I so do not want to take mine down and REALL'y don't want to get rid of the fish and then repurchase out there. Hmmm.

Anyway, any suggestions or ideas from members greatly appreciated.

Any good marine stores in the area that specialize in salt water?(scratch)

Don't see why you couldn't bring your live stock. It would be extra work, but is do able. Buckets w/ battery powered air pumps. Have to find a way to keep the temp up. I'd do it, but then I'd leave my husband on the other side of the country before I'd leave my tank behind. Good thing he's a mover and would be useful. Oh and welcome to the club. Bend is a nice place.

Redmond has a nice store called oasis, but nothing in Bend that I know of.

Thanks Kimberlee. I did move my freshwater fish 10 years ago in buckets when I moved like you suggested. They were easy. I was able to just plop them into their new water with little adjustment. I am a little scared to move a 75 gal, with sand, live rock and livestock too without having the tank and water up and going when I arrived. It does take some time to re-establish the tank.

Cant wait for the move tho.

Unless you're planning on making a Cannonball Run drive straight through and setting up the tank 1st thing upon arrival (and even this would take significant planning to keep temp/aeration, etc when crossing the Rockies), you have a couple of options (none of them inexpensive):

1. Find someone in the area willing to hold your stuff for you. Have your rock and livestock shipped out overnight for someone local to pick up and hold for you in their (spare?) tank until you get here and get your tank and system set up.

2. Set up a temporary system where you are now, bring out your tank and equipment, then go back and pack your livestock and rock to fly back with you and put it in your tank.

I'm of the opinion that driving it all out at once will result in a significant mortality rate unless some pretty serious pre-planning is performed to create a safe "mobile environment" for a 2-3 day move through some very cold territories - all without light or food being provided. You may need to make more than 1 trip.

Its good to see another saltwater enthusiast coming to Bend.........Moving your tank that distance is gonna be very difficult, But not impossible. Theres a chance that someone with the Central Oregon Coral Association(facebook group) might be able to come up with a resolution. Heres the link: www.centraloregoncoralassociation@groups.facebook.com

And theres always really good deals on complete set-ups and livestock here in Bend on CL as well.

Yeah i forget petco has a few salt tanks... out here i get my hardware from craigslist/ebay/online shops... and the livestock at Oasis and from local people.. there is a FB group thats active where we got most of our liverock and other bits.. its called Central Oregon Coral Association... a few guys over there frag at home..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did 2 moves with my 155 bow. Used pumps with screens on the intake, with heaters plugged into an inverter. Keep as much sand as you can and if you have lots of live rock you will be fine, either one, you should not get a cycle. If you have a shallow SB or no SB then your going to need quite a bit of live rock so make sure you don't get and cycle, I had about 200lbs LR and no sand with no issues.

• 6 months later...

I agree with beardedsmurf on the PITA of moving - I was planning on moving the 120g I had in Colorado and after doing a little planning with my girlfriend and talking of housing and temp setups and flying and crap - she resoundingly said "F NO!".

Anyway - I'm new to the site here too and everyone has made me feel at ease in familiar waters. So welcome!

We finally made it to Oregon. We just got here on Tuesday night. I didn't bring my fish but will set up my nano when we get settled. Hope to meet some of you folks.

Welcome to the area. You'll like it here. Very nice area to live in (lots to do). The Saltwater scene is small but you'll learn to live with it or without it. :)