RI vs Salinity

TNoel

Hello,

I am fairly new to this hobby. My tank has been going for about 2 1/2 months now. Every thing has been going pretty well. My question is this. I have 2 different hydrometers. They read about 5 points difference. I have access at work to some high quality refractometers. Where can I find a chart to convert RI to salinity or specific gravity. I know some of the hand held, hobby models, already have the conversion, but the ones we use for QC don't.

Thanks, Tom

(welcome)

I found this in a quick look...

"For example, at 20ºC the refractive index of pure water is 1.333, while the refractive index of seawater (salinity = 35 ppt) is 1.339."

I'll dig around work to see what I can find.

By the way, where do you work?

Welcome to the board!!!!

I have some 35ppt salinity solution for calibrating refractometers if you need to calibrate. Sounds like you might have that stuff at your job though. Sorry i don't have an answer to your question though :(

Thanks for the info. Impur I really appreciate the offer, I may take you up on it, I'll let you know. We do all of our testing at 25 C . I will talk to a chemist next week to see how much difference the temperature difference would make, unless someone here knows. My water tested @1.3389 the LFS told me that was on the high side, but it looks to me that it is about right. What do you guys think. I am trying to figure out where my hydrometer is when the RI is correct.

Thanks, Tom