Lighting question...

VetGirl

So, I am still in the process of setting up our 125 g FOWLR. Despite the research I have done, I still don't know what kind of lighting to purchase. With the type of fish we want to keep, I really doubt this tank will turn into a reef tank, but who knows down the road. Do the organisms living on liverock need a certain type/strength of lighting? I haven't found a good online resource regarding lighting, so as I am feeling kind of clueless, if you know of any basic references, let me know. (I haven't been impressed with the small selection of LFS in my area and being in school I don't have a lot of time to get to Eugene or Portland, so I do a lot of online research.) Someone mentioned hellolights.com and reefgeek.com as good sources, on my previous newbie post. How much should I be spending on lighting for a FOWLR tank (since there are other areas would rather spend more money on)? This probably isn't that complicated, but thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Fish dont need any "extra lighting". You would be fine with a regualr flourescent hood. That will save you a lot more money. Just buy a bulb kelvin you like and thats it. Later Ryan

PS- If you dont already have one Roger at Albanys Amazing has a good selection of bulbs and hoods, a little messy though :)

It really depends on what you want to spend or if you want to leave open the possibilty of coras in the future. If you dont want corals now or possibly in the near future then the flourescent bulb that comes with regular hoods is fine for fish viewing. if your tank has no hood or lighting whatsoever then get 2 36" regular strip lights from albanys amazing aquarium. he can probably give you a good price but as ryan said it may take a little while to find what you need in his stockpiles.

butif you are thinking that corals are in your future even if its just softies then look into at least power compact level lighting. 72" (which i assume is your tank length) fixtures are a little spendy time so depending on if you have a hood or even a center brace maybe look into 2 36" fixtures. people on here are always selling stuff so keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds for a bargain.

For a FOWLR tank you can, as said, go with just the typical NO florecent lights that your tank came with. Or you can step up to some PC's or, (my preference), VHO's. I have liked the VHO's more then the PC's but both will work. And VHO's/PC's will both work if you decide to go to softies/lps corals in the future. HTH