New Kent Reef Salt, Anyone have an update or Opinions?

ReefSafari

I am curious for those who are using it or have been using it, how do you like it? I know some of you are using it, any opinions? I am thinking about giving it a try and switching salts but am kinda freaked out about trying something new. Now I am talking about the new Kent REEF salt not the regular marine sea salt that has been around a long time.

I have continued to use regular Instant Ocean since my new tank was initially setup with Reef Crystals and I didn't like that salt at all, I could never get it to mix, I am guessing it was a bad batch of salt, so I have went back to Instant Ocean, but I am now getting the itch to give Kent Reef Salt a try.

Anyone using it want to chime in and give us a review on it? I figured its the same price as most of the other salts, but I haven't seen too many reviews on it, I am guessing cause its so new on the market. But I remembered a few of you guys saying you where trying it, but I havn't seen any updates as to weither you like it or not.

I have almost finished a bucket full and I can honestly say I see a big difference form IO. My Duncan has sprouted 3 new heads in the last few weeks and everything else looks more extended. Here are my last WC results. I do 20% ever other week.

Temp 77.7

Salinity 1.025

PO4 0

ALK 8.3

Mg 1410

Ca 420

PH 8.2

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Ammonia 0

Well I have been using the new Red Sea Coal Pro salt (pretty bucket). Everything in my tank is doing really well so I hate to change, but I think I will have to make the switch. You guys all convinced me. One thing I don't like about coral pro is the nasty film it leaves behind. Plus I can support local and buy Kent! Count me in as soon as I finish my 3 buckets of Coral Pro.(rock2)

Has anyone mixed it per directions' date=' and tested it like Impur did for a bunch of salts a couple years ago?[/quote']

don't you mix and test your salt each time you do a water change? ;). We test and buffer alk as needed. Its stays pretty consistent with our params when we test after a water change.

don't you mix and test your salt each time you do a water change? ;). We test and buffer alk as needed. Its stays pretty consistent with our params when we test after a water change.

Uh sure.....of course I do.....(scary)

What I was referring to is a couple years ago Impur (sorry dont know his real name), posted a bunch of salts actual specs after mixing them.

I was reading another thread and saw this posted and thought it was relevant to talk about, so I copied and pasted it in my thread I had started instead of hijacking the other thread....

Remember to mix salts 50/50 for a couple water changes over a couple weeks. Don't just switch from one salt to another' date=' gradually introduce the next one and you shouldn't have an issue.[/quote']

Thats interesting, as I am going to be switching salts on my 40b from Instant Ocean to Kent, I was planning on just mixing up 5g of Kent when I do my 5g partial water change, so your saying even with small 5g partial water changes you would suggest mixing a 50/50 of Instant Ocean and Kent? I try and do 5g on a weekly basis....so what your saying is for the first two 5g partial water changes do a 50/50 mix and then on the third 5g water change do all Kent?

What would happen if I just did a 5g water change with just Kent salt? I never thought about it causing any harm to the corals, but the last thing I want to do is stress or possibly kill my corals with some kind of shock.

Anyone else want to give thier opinions? Has anyone changed salts before? how have you done it?

IMO that would probably be the best way to switch. It would slowly raise your parameters to the level of Kents salt. Instant Ocean contains one of the lowest amounts of Ca and Mg and probably Alk to, I can't remember, but it isn't a REEF salt, more a fish only salt. Thats why they make Reef Crystals also. Thanks Harold

IMO that would probably be the best way to switch. It would slowly raise your parameters to the level of Kents salt. Instant Ocean contains one of the lowest amounts of Ca and Mg and probably Alk to' date=' I can't remember, but it isn't a REEF salt, more a fish only salt. Thats why they make Reef Crystals also. Thanks Harold[/quote']

Thats if people only use Instant Ocean and do not suppliment with Calcium or buffer thier water for Alk, right? I have been dosing for Calcium and Magnesium and buffering for Alk....so far its been testing out ok, but I am just getting tired of having to dose all the time and test so much to make sure what I am dosing is ok, Hence the interest in switching over to Kent Reef Salt so that I don't have to dose anymore and test maybe once a week instead of 2-3 times a week to keep up on where my tank is at. I have had no problems using Instant Ocean for the past year...I am just tired of dosing and buying supliments all the time to keep my tank where it needs to be.

It would be nice to be able to keep all the parameters where I want them by just doing partial water changes....

From what I have read on here and other forums in laymans terms it's like dog food. If you have a dog with a sensative stomach ( corals and fish are sensative) and you just switch foods on the dog, you can no longer clean up the backyard with a shovel and must use a spatula or hose. I haven't heard of killing anything other that one guy that experienced zoo's melting, but couln't pin it on the new salt switch. Everything just retracts for awhile until the shock wears off. I just try to ease in the mixture and keep the shock load down.