help with clam! after the Heater goes Boom!

cschwarz

so my heater in my tank exploded a few hours ago causing my tanks water temp to go from 78 to almost 90 in just a few minutes. so as of right know i have lost my beloved copper banded butterfly fish, long nose butterfly fish and my green mandarin. so i tossed some ice cubes in the sump to bring down the temp some and that is working out nicely. so everything else in the tank is looking all right but very unhappy. i put some more carbon in the sump and did a 10% water change. but my big concern is my clam. he is wide open but its mantel is all suck in. do you think he will be ok? all the coral are just slimming up allot and all shriveled up. do you know of anything i can do to help everyone out? but i think i have found what has been shocking me(sad)

If you are close to anyone on the forum, get with them, they may be willing to take your corals off your hands.

Is this the first time this has happened to you? I've never heard of a heater flat out exploding, but, hey, first time for everything. You might want to have an electrician come in an check your lines, you might have had a surge or something, or hell, I dunno, but it can't never hurt to have an electrician check your house.

so its 24 hours cents the the heater blow up. i have lost a few more of my beloved corals but it looks like my clam may pull through. it is know oping up about half way and reacts to me waving my hand over the light.but all of my anemones and corals for the most part are closed up still hope there start looking better here soon.

so it has been just about a week after my heater blew up and everything is starting to recover and open up again. i am so surprised even my poor clam is almost fully opening up. i went out and got my self a new titanium heater from patrick at saltwater fanta-seas its working great! only thing i have to worry about now is all the new algae i have growing all over the tank.