How long should I break down?

fishmanmike01

With the help from the fine folks here I was able to identify this macro that I was plagued with (Dictyota). That being said I have tried to harvest it allmost daily I have tried fish to eat it I have tried lowering my light cycle to kill it off and nothing is helping me win the battle.(flame) So now I am at the point of breaking down the entire tank, moving all the coral to a "holding tank", scrubbing all the rock clean and putting all the rock and the display in total darkness to rid mysielf of it.......Hopefully.

How long of total darkness do you think it will take to kill it all off? Would two weeks be enough do it?

This is the enemy

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

Daaang! Sorry for your headache. Just tore mine apart and chemically dipped everything for what I thought were GSP and Zoa eating nudibranch's ,brittle stars and zebra snails. After inspecting the sand we found a 14 inch long black bristle worm! My zoas and GSP have never been happier..good luuck

Have you tried urchins? A long spine urchin would probably take care of that macro fairly quickly. Even a tuxido or pencil urchin would put a dent in it.

The other option would be to "cook" your rock just a few pieces at a time. Put the worst offender rocks in a bucket with no light, a heater and powerhead for a few weeks. Do water changes to remove nutrients and spores, but wait for the rock to be bleached white. Then the macro should also be dead. Repeat process with a couple more rocks...

dsoz

You might try taking a small rock into a LFS and have them put it in there tank with Herbivores and see who its it. I sure bet a Naso would be in heaven with it.

Tearing down a tank sure sounds like a lot of work and there is always something that will eat something.

Im shure a naso would make quick work of it, but my display is only a 70 gal and every naso I have seen in stores are at least 4-5 inch if not bigger :eek: If anybody knows of a small one I would love to hear about it.

• 4 weeks later...
Im shure a naso would make quick work of it' date=' but my display is only a 70 gal and every naso I have seen in stores are at least 4-5 inch if not bigger :eek: If anybody knows of a small one I would love to hear about it.[/quote']

Mike, shoot Kevin of Aloha Corals, sponsor here, a message, he's runnin a group buy on Hawaiian fish an he can get small naso's, 1-3" probably, for 12 bucks each.