my 2 awesome seahorses

jason7504

they are the black Hippocampus erectus. They are so much fun! Mine are also pigging out on the mysis. I looked up seahorse corral, pretty cool site. Have you ever owned any seahorses before? I put a couple harlequin shrimp in with mine cause the tank was a little boring.

they are the black Hippocampus erectus. They are so much fun! Mine are also pigging out on the mysis. I looked up seahorse corral' date=' pretty cool site. Have you ever owned any seahorses before? I put a couple harlequin shrimp in with mine cause the tank was a little boring.[/quote']

mine are also H.erectus. yeah they are alot of fun :) yeah i have.i had a pair 5 years ago. i have a mandrian in with mine

great pics!!! I really want a yellow or orange one now! how big are they? pretty mandarin too:) I had a mandarin and it got a weird hole by its mouth and didnt make it. I have a target mandarin thats doing great though. Do your seahorses eat out of a dish? mine do.

great pics!!! I really want a yellow or orange one now! how big are they? pretty mandarin too:) I had a mandarin and it got a weird hole by its mouth and didnt make it. I have a target mandarin thats doing great though. Do your seahorses eat out of a dish? mine do.

thanks :) they are around 3" or so. yeah thanks :) i'm trying to raise pods to help the mandrians survival. no i target feed mine with my turkey baster. that way i know that each one is getting food and there isn't any that spills or falls out like in a dish.

that way i know that each one is getting food and there isn't any that spills or falls out like in a dish.

If the food does fall out of the dish, they will still eat it. They are not that picky. Infact if they eat to fast and some of there poo looks like a shrimp, they will eat that too.

If you split up there feedings until small multiple feedings a day, they will grow faster and ultimately be healthier.

Those horses are still very small.

If the food does fall out of the dish, they will still eat it. They are not that picky. Infact if they eat to fast and some of there poo looks like a shrimp, they will eat that too.

If you split up there feedings until small multiple feedings a day, they will grow faster and ultimately be healthier.

Those horses are still very small.

I just like feeding with the baster cuz i can watch them eat which is fun :) and i know for sure how much there eating. I usually split up the cube of mysis into 2 feedings daily :)

If they'll eat the PE I would ditch the hikari. The read the protein content ont he packages, you'll see why.

Are you using garlic for an appetite stimulant? IME it doesn't really work. Seahorses have no olfactory senses. O.K. they do have something resembling one, but it is theorized to be inactive or to be used to recognize a mate. They can't smell food. IMO I think this leads to the hard time training to frozen for WC seahroses, they don't smell it but there senses are activated by the movement, which is why you blow the food around the tank with a turkey baster.

Some people believe that garlic acts as an immune system booster, but if this is your intent I woudl switch to feeding artemia beta glucan.

JMO

If they'll eat the PE I would ditch the hikari. The read the protein content ont he packages, you'll see why.

Are you using garlic for an appetite stimulant? IME it doesn't really work. Seahorses have no olfactory senses. O.K. they do have something resembling one, but it is theorized to be inactive or to be used to recognize a mate. They can't smell food. IMO I think this leads to the hard time training to frozen for WC seahroses, they don't smell it but there senses are activated by the movement, which is why you blow the food around the tank with a turkey baster.

Some people believe that garlic acts as an immune system booster, but if this is your intent I woudl switch to feeding artemia beta glucan.

JMO

yeah i know the PE has a high protein content but I kind of like to mix it up for them. yeah i'm just doing it for the immune system booster and it has vitamin C. but im also getting some selcon to add some omega 3's and other vitamins to there food

Unless your feeding the enrichment to live food and then feeding to the seahorses I think you are wasting your time IME.

Most of the enrichment just comes off in the water, very little actually sticks to the food, and then makes it through into the seahorses digestive system. It does add a nice little cloud they exhale through there gills after they snick something though . . .

If you want to feed them enrichments I think vitamin C is good but beta glucan is going to be your best bet. You can find the powder capsuls at most health food stores. Just feed the capsul to a bag full of brine shrimp, wait a half hour or so and then feed that live brine to your seahorses. I wouldn't feed live to often, maybe once a week or so. If you feed to much live food they start looking at the frozen food like, "Where's the live food, I'm not eating this." Then again some seahorses are actually scared of live brine, but yours being captive bred should not be, I ran into this more when working with WC reidi and comes.

I only know all of this because I tried for quite some time to figure out the enrichment thing. In the end I found I could keep very healthy seahroses longterm (5 years +) without feeding enrichments and by only ever feeding fresh water foods that contained little of the HUFA's.

Oh, since they are eating the PE, I would just feed the hikari to your reef, the seahorses need all the protein they can get, especially at there size, so a snicked hikari is a waste for them.

Sorry I'm so opinionated.

HTH