A visit with Roger...

spayne

Jay and I stopped by to see Roger on Wednesday so we could check out all the progress he's made on his school tanks and take a few pics. Plus find out what he needs from our tank for his "Educator Care Package". :D

Roger showed us some of the DIY rock and plugs that they've been making. They are pretty awesome! He told us that the rock is great fun to make, so I think Jay and I are going to have to play in a little cement and see what kinds of interesting formations we can create.

Here's a few pics I took. If Roger is so inclined, I'm sure he will elaborate more on the critters as well as talk about the kids and the tanks. Apparently polyp extension is a hot topic as of late!

DSC04244.jpg

DSC04239.jpg

DSC04238.jpg

DSC04227.jpg

DSC04213.jpg

The flash made this guy's color come out bluer than it is. :mad:

DSC04209.jpg

Stacy

I think Roger said it was a Tunicate. Not sure, but it was unique. Hopefully we can all become more involved in the educational side of this club. We talked with Roger about some interesting ideas to include his classes in some of our threads. Coral Identification was one idea. A picture of a coral could be posted, and the class could ask questions to our group to help them find the correct identification. Fun and educational. We could all learn something here. Roger is on to something here. Let's help any way we can.

Jay

I have my own favorites' date=' which unlike Coke, I will divulge.[/quote']

rofl

One of these days I'm going to give the DIY rock a spin. Anything that involves me getting dirty... I'm there! :p

Hey, Mike! Thanks for the compliment on the photography! I think Jay gets credit for the coral. The top tank was just a bit too high for me to take shots of and it was easier to tell Jay to take the pics rather than dragging a chair over. He's a good student! ;)

Stacy

Well the plan for the school tanks is to have each of my 6th grade students, which amounts to 90 kids, the other half is made up of 100 8th graders. Yes, do the math, I have 190 kids in 6 classes. You might say they are a tad large. Now getting back to the 6th grade classes. I would like each 6th grader to pick an organism in the tank, take a picture of it and then fill out a questonaire on it. Have not got it completely hammered out but things like regular name, latin name, location, zone, connection in the food web, unique characteristics, life cycle, environmental niche, endangered or not, etc. We finished powerpoints with the 8th graders so it is the 6th graders turn now. I would like to print up all their reports and make an id book that would hang by the tanks so kids could look at each organism. Kids are pretty excited about the assignment. (no really, they are) I will use this site to post pics for id purposes. Will keep you posted.

only if the following is true

1. It is done on time

2. I don't have to grade it

3. Your parents won't come in and want a time extension on the assignment

4. You don't whine about which organism you get

5. Your computer does not break down or you don't have one

6. hmmm I am sure there are more things I could mention. Oh yeah, Bob, Make sure there is nothing biased, inappropriate, controversial etc, ect. heh heh heh