UV Sterilizers....

tanktop74

HI all... I have a few questions....

Since my display tank contracted ICK I have been considering getting a UV Sterilizer. What can you tell me about them?

What brands are recommended?

How do I hook one up when I have the plumbing already established?

Do I need to have a pump to pump it through or can the feed from the overflow push the water through?

Soooo many questions and so little education I have on these kinds of things!

Thanks for the time and information.

Beth

Carbon and a filter sock will help with some of the small particles. Probably not all of them though. I don't think you want to get rid of all of them anyway as some of them are food for both corals and fish. Just keep in mind if you run carbon then it needs to be stirred or kneeded once every day or two and filter socks need to be cleaned every few days as well so they don't turn into nitrate factories. (Personally I only run carbon from tiem to time)

• Like 1

It will depend upon the micron count of particles each lets pass through. I think the socks are around 100 to 200 microns which I'm going to guess is less than the filter pad so it would probably take a little more out. Some people will take a sock and then put some carbon (rinse it first) in the bottom of the sock and do it that way. When I use it I just but it in a small media bag and toss it in on top of the chaeto under my tank drain. (Rather than us a sock I let the chaeto grab the particles)

UV sterilizers are of limited effectiveness against ick. Ick has three life stages One in the fish, two in the sand/gravel/rock substrate, and three free-floating. The UV only gets some of the the free-floating before they reattach to fish.

On the down-side, UV also kills other free-floating stuff that is used for fish food and tank well-being.

This is my opinion.

dsoz

for those fine particles floating around - I run a filter sock and am always amazed at how well it filters stuff out. I change it at least once per week and if I go over that it starts to overflow out of the top of the sock. I toss my carbon in a bag in the filter sock.

UV wouldnt be worth the $ spent on it reguardless if its for ick or not, The bulbs only have a usefull life of up to 6 monthes, thats allot of lights being replaced. Ya some may say that they change theres every 12 monthes or so without any prob. but really that should be an argument for my point and there efectaveness, and if ya really need one. I (and many others) have ran a full sps tank for many years without and kind of uv or carbon ect