I am helping a friend, wondering if anybody else would like to help too!

I have a buddy who is new to the hobby of saltwater. He just aquired a 150 gallon that I would love to have gotten. But, he got it and is excited! I am going to try to help as much as I can. So here I am inquiring all ya'll and hoping for a huge response. He has nothing. He needs to get some sand in there and rock. Don't know if anybody has any extra, old or dried rock. This is going to be a fish only tank for now but I still want to get some bio filtration rockin. So I want to get the sand, rock and water in there and have it go through its cycle. He has no funds and is a truck driver. In time he will have some money but in the meantime I think the tank should start a cycle. Can anyone, or alot of little donation would be so appreciated!!!

Clay(hidesbehindsofa)

I know I may get flamed for this but if your friends broke I wouldn't be setting up a saltwater system even if stuff is donated to set it up it will still need maintenance and you cant expect to get donations to keep your friends tank going I would wait until he can afford to get it going as it could turn into a bad thing even though your heart is in the right place.

I know I may get flamed for this but if your friends broke I wouldn't be setting up a saltwater system even if stuff is donated to set it up it will still need maintenance and you cant expect to get donations to keep your friends tank going I would wait until he can afford to get it going as it could turn into a bad thing even though your heart is in the right place.

Ditto Jody (rock2)

He has a good job and eventually will have the funds to support his tank. I am trying to help and was hoping to find someone with some extra sand and rock that might be laying around. That way we could start to cure it and get some cycling started. He will have to wait for a while before doing anything with it anyway. Right now it's just sitting there empty! He is going for a fish only tank so he's not going to need too much and hopefully he gets obsessed like I am!! So, hopefully i reach someone that might be a little more willing to pay it forward.

Clay

He has a good job and eventually will have the funds to support his tank. I am trying to help and was hoping to find someone with some extra sand and rock that might be laying around. That way we could start to cure it and get some cycling started. He will have to wait for a while before doing anything with it anyway. Right now it's just sitting there empty! He is going for a fish only tank so he's not going to need too much and hopefully he gets obsessed like I am!! So, hopefully i reach someone that might be a little more willing to pay it forward.

Clay

I have a rubbermaid in my back yard with used "dead" sand in it he could have. It would need to be washed really good though. It would do his whole tank easily. Let me see when I am going to Eugene next.

Just an idea, but since you are only trying to get the biofilter going why not go get some lava rock out of the national forest or on blm land. Might not be beautiful kaelani live rock but it will act as a strong biofilter. You will just have to pay for gas. In fact, your friend might pick some up on one of his truck runs. I have known plenty of people who started with lava rock. Those red cinders work great. It would also look very cool in a fish only tank. Kind of a Hawaii theme.

Oh and if the Mandarin is for this new tank, I would wait 6 months before introducing him to the tank. You will need to seed some copepods from a mature system. Once they propagate themselves you should have lots of mandarin food swimming around, especially in a 150 gallon.

No, the mandarin would be for my tank!! I have a 4 year old 90 gallon tenecor simplicity plus, 150 pounds of live rock and a ton of sand as well as a yellow tang, coral beauty, a pair of yellow striped maroon clown fish, purple firefish, clam, RBTA, GBTA, cotton candy, Pom-pom crab, coral banded shrimp, cleaner shrimp, purple lobster, porcelain crab, an assortment of zoas, Xenia, Toadstool leather, a neon green leather that I don't know the name of, yellow polyps, and two different kind of mushys!! I am getting a whole bunch more too!! From coralreefaquarist! He rocks!! We are going to tattoo a bad *** pirate ship on his side!!

Clay

i started out with lava rock i collected from bend. theres still a few huge pieces in my tank you would never know if i didnt tell ya. theres lots oof holes for critetrs and stuff not to mention you can pick out cool shapes. and its free. i filled a huge rubbermaid pretty quick. i just went to a construction area in town in bend where they were gonna build a house or buisness and the ground was kinda tilled up and lava rock was everywhere.