Does salt go bad?

SteveHash-fish20

I purchased salt today from a local reefer and noticed its an older bucket of kent,

I'm just wondering does anyone know if it expires? And if the old kent salt is different from the new kent salt (different as in would harm my tank)

The salt isn't hard and seems good but idk if there is an expiration date on it or what's on the bottom but it says 12/2008. Idk if that's when they made it or it expires, if salt expires? I know back on the day they used to use it to preserve meats etc, but it's more of the chemical compound that I'm worried about.

Please LMK

i mean i didnt even think it could expire, i googled

old kent salt different than new kent salt. and read on a thread from 3reef someone was saying that the new kent salt is bad. but you cant keep the old buckets forever as they expire??

i mean i dont think hes right but it has made me question it as i do not wanna add it to my reef and cause harm.

The only pic I found with a quick look was in the middle of some kind of dumb argument...anyway Parker your tank looks good...nice start hopefully down a long and enjoyable road. The way you guys seemed so into it when I met you both I figured you all had been doing this for awhile.

Combined we have less then two years exspierence. Ive been doing this for about a year now. Just when me and him get into something theres no reason to h alf *** might as well dive right in. Yeah me and parker definately arent the most popular on here. Were just strong headed ha.

I had a bad bucket kill my corals before. High mag and calcium levels. It was the old Kent. I only use the new Kent salt now. I would use it for a fowlr but not my reef tank unless you test it before adding it to your tank imo. I have a thread on here from a long time ago about it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Who cares - it's a hobby. Have fun. You know square dancing and bacci ball is really fun when you get into it, but it looks lame from the outside. We're all expressing our internal uber-nerd with talk of polyp extension, color morphs, parameters, etc.

Who gives a . It's not like we're really breaking down the barriers of accepted scientific thought. Compare guys who collect guns facing down the eminent zombie invasion - that sh!t is never gonna happen - just like hobby aquariums are never going to save the global reef systems. Who has a faster car, hottest girlfriend, most teraflops on their graphics card. Does it matter? No. It's fun. Collect guns, drive fast, play games, and have some mf'n fun with it. Who cares about all that other crap...not me dude.

Who cares - it's a hobby. Have fun. You know square dancing and bacci ball is really fun when you get into it, but it looks lame from the outside. We're all expressing our internal uber-nerd with talk of polyp extension, color morphs, parameters, etc.

Who gives a . It's not like we're really breaking down the barriers of accepted scientific thought. Compare guys who collect guns facing down the eminent zombie invasion - that sh!t is never gonna happen - just like hobby aquariums are never going to save the global reef systems. Who has a faster car, hottest girlfriend, most teraflops on their graphics card. Does it matter? No. It's fun. Collect guns, drive fast, play games, and have some mf'n fun with it. Who cares about all that other crap...not me dude.

Spoken like Socrates

Right on. It's salt. I imagine over time it might deplete some trace elements but I am talking atomic half-life time...

I guess it was a rant. I had problems in CO with people and lame comments when my tank was new. I made most of my equipment so it wasn't all shiny with a cool sticker, but it got the job done. I'm here to have fun and share. If I didn't want to hook up with like-minded people I would just keep it all to myself.

Right on. It's salt. I imagine over time it might deplete some trace elements but I am talking atomic half-life time...

I guess it was a rant. I had problems in CO with people and lame comments when my tank was new. I made most of my equipment so it wasn't all shiny with a cool sticker, but it got the job done. I'm here to have fun and share. If I didn't want to hook up with like-minded people I would just keep it all to myself.

I think this is correlation to the argument between me, Garrett, and neighboring reefers.. Lol yeah. I 100% understand where your coming from.

Anyway dude who cares everyone cares about their reef and doesn't want to be insulted regardless of skill level. We were talking about salt right? I think I might have an opened bag up in the rafters of my garage...I hope it works out - it should have about 35 or 40 gallons worth - 1/3 of what I'll need when I start, but I hope the humidity hasn't gotten to it.