250w vs 400w and Select-A-Watt Ballasts vs Fixed Wattage Ballasts.

Hog Head

The new 150gal tank is 30" the bottom. I will have about a 4" sandbed so that will make it about 26". It looks like I will probably be using Lumen Bright reflectors. So with about a 26" depth and the desire to have a really nice and large carpet nem, which would be the recommended watt light. 250w or 400w?

I will also be getting new ballasts. I haven't heard anything about the Select-A-Watt units. I like the idea but how is the reliability when compared to the fixed wattage units?

Thanks.

For a really bright tank, which it seems you want, I would go with 400w lamps.

I switched all of my ballasts over to Select-A-Watt units in the new store. I did a test run with 8 of them at the old store for about 4 months and was really pleased. The Galaxy units come with a 5 year warranty so there isn't really too much to worry about. I have never had one go bad over the years I have had the fixed wattage Galaxy ballasts and I have yet to have any issues with the select a watt units.

I have used both the Lumen Bright and Lumen Max Elite reflectors and I would go Lumen Max Elite in almost every situation. They are that good at enhancing the amount of light in the tank at various heights.

Let me know if I can help get your lighting ordered up.

Archived