CO2 Scrubber

impur

Is anyone running one of these? Does it work well? How often do you need to replace the media?

I'm considering building one instead of drilling a hole in my floor to run the skimmer airline outside to draw fresh O2. Would eliminate tubing running across the floor and holes in my floor too :D

I have been thinking of setting up a scrubber, as well, to offset the PH dip of running a calcium reactor. BRS sells color changing media...its pretty spendy, so hopefully it lasts a long time.

My only concern is limiting my skimmers air draw.

BRS Media: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/medical-grade-co2-absorbent-low-dust.html

BRS Air Filter: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/universal-air-filter.html

Ryan, I think the media will last about 3 months if you are lucky.

I'm reading here and there right now and, from a scientific point of view, it looks more like snake's oil. But who knows, maybe it can work well for our aquariums. We should give it a try.

If it works as it should, the device should perform better than the hole in the wall.

Yah it all depends on how much the media ends up being and how long it lasts. If its gonna cost more than say $50 a year to run' date=' i'll probably just drill the holes in my floor (laugh)[/quote']

I sent off a question about this so I hope to hear back soon. I'm curious too.

I don't have a problem with my pH currently, due to drawing fresh O2 from a window to my skimmer on my 75gal, and so far my 60gal cube is doing fine even though its drawing air from inside my house. But i'd like to use something like this instead of the tubing outside to draw fresh O2. I really have to do one or the other, once my cube gets settled down I anticipate the pH dropping to how my 75 used to.

You can buy all the parts at thefilterguys.biz cheaper than the BRS one. And they sell the replacement media as well, its cheaper than most other places but still spendy IMO. Thats why i'm trying to find it in bulk for cheaper. If i can do that, i'll definitely make one.

I've been using a scrubber on my cold system for about 3 months now. Cold systems tend to run a low pH since nothing is photosynthetic. My tank ran consistently at 7.8 to 7.9. I get a .3 bump when I set up the scrubber.....I now run 8.1 to 8.2. It is not snake oil....quite a few folks use it. Your best buy is through Airgas who sells it in 5 gal buckets for $75.......but, the only Airgas stores that regularly carry it is their Corvallis and Newport stores (because of the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport and some veterinarian outfit in Corvallis). A 5 gal bucket lasts me about 5 months (estimated) on a 400 gal tank through a large skimmer (Bubble King SM300). You will see a pH increase within minutes of setting it up.

One more thing....I just use an old large media reactor that the skimmer sucks air through. I limit the media's depth to about 6 inches (in a 8" diameter reactor).....which last about a month before it turns purple (and the tank's pH begins to drop). The media can be re-activated ....I think in the oven with washing soda.....or something like that. My skimmer also used to suck outside air.....but, the tank still ran a low pH. Since the skimmer is the delivery system, the skimmer size and airflow determines how quickly you will exhaust the media......and how much of a bump in pH you will realize. The media is more commonly used for medical purposes and for re-breathers in Scuba diving.

Well Steve beat me too it.

But anyways here is my question and BRS answer to the questions.

How long does this media typically last?

Just a round about answer would be great.

Either per cartridge fill OR 9g jug.

Thanks!

Their answer is:

Ill say right up front, there is a TON of variables on this one. How big your skimmer is, how much air it pulls, how much co2 you have, etc. On our tank here, in the winter time we have to change a single cartridge every 2 sometimes 3 weeks. In the summer it tends to last closer to a month though.

Thanks for the info Steve. I have an old media reactor i made, i think i'll just mod it and give this a try. I'm gonna pick up a jug of the media thru filterguys, and if I have similar results as you i'll start looking for the media in bulk.

Mike - thanks for checking on that! :)

I have been following this thread and have always wondered if how much influence the room air or outside air will make! It's hard to argue with data:

I've been using a scrubber on my cold system for about 3 months now. Cold systems tend to run a low pH since nothing is photosynthetic. My tank ran consistently at 7.8 to 7.9. I get a .3 bump when I set up the scrubber.....I now run 8.1 to 8.2. It is not snake oil....quite a few folks use it.

But then, I am trying to understand what percentage of CO2 you will have to have in the room air to make a difference. based on what I know about composition of the dry air (Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases), you would need a lot of CO2 in the room to have effect on the pH of the tank (enough to make one dizzy)! Another thing that is confusing to me is that people who run Ca reactors (including me), pump CO2 in the tank and once regulated and optimized, the pH does not get influenced much (mine varies between 8.19 to 8.27 between night and day).

Any thoughts to help me better understand this phenomena?

Well i can only figure that due to my house being built in 06 and being energy efficient, there is not much release of the CO2 buildup in the house unless i open a door or window. The pH on my 75gal before running the skimmer venturi to a window was 7.7-7.8 mornings and only would get up to 8.1 at the highest. With the venturi drawing fresh air I only get down to 8.2 and up to 8.6 daytime. When i had the CA reactor online, it got down to 7.5 and even lower at night. That just won't work.

Well i can only figure that due to my house being built in 06 and being energy efficient' date=' there is not much release of the CO2 buildup in the house unless i open a door or window. The pH on my 75gal before running the skimmer venturi to a window was 7.7-7.8 mornings and only would get up to 8.1 at the highest. With the venturi drawing fresh air I only get down to 8.2 and up to 8.6 daytime. When i had the CA reactor online, it got down to 7.5 and even lower at night. That just won't work.[/quote']

Like I sais earlier, you do have the observations and data to show the home air is more richer in CO2 than out side. I was looking through the web and saw this article (I am sure you have seen it before)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

that described a simple test to check if it the home are or the buffering issues with the water:

The Aeration Test

Some of the possibilities listed above require some effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure the pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. The pH should rise if the pH is unusually low for the measured alkalinity, as in Figure 3 (if it does not rise, most likely one of the measurements (pH or alkalinity) is in error). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If the pH rises there too, then the aquarium pH will rise with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise inside (or rises very little), then the inside air contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should).

In any case, I am watching the thread and want to proactively address this issue should it arise in my tank. My tank actually sits in the smallest room in the home and the doors (there was wide doors) are kept open all the time.

Yah i remember that article. I did that test too, i don't remember the exact results but I do remember the pH went up when done outside, not when inside.

I ordered some of the media, and tonight i'll dig out my DIY media reactor to play around with so I can use it for this purpose. I'll keep updating this thread as well ;)

Hey here is a question for you guys. Sounds like it might work but have never heard anyone ever trying it.

What if you placed some carbon in with this media would it remove anything in the air that might get drawn into your skimmer?

The reason I wonder this is because my tank is in the garage like a few others on here and in the summer when I have to mow there is a gas can in there and wondered if having the air drawn thru carbon would be a good thing?

My tank has been this way for 3 years but always wondered. TIA