Parrots

Mitchell

My female macaw is being a real pain right now. It's her breeding season and she can become a handful. She turns into a biting bird during this time of year. Usually she is quite a lover. My male becomes more testy at this time also but not quite as bad. Hes still young and doesnt seem to go through the same attitude as her. I do notice when we are gone more they punish us for being gone and not making them number 1.

You can try to keep the cover on the cage longer and move the cage to a room where you can control how much light gets in. You need to try to trick the bird into thinking it is fall and/or winter as long as possible. That is what my vet says to do. My bird gets nippy this time of the year too.

Thanks guys. We have light blocking curtains in the room he is in, I'll make sure to keep them shut longer. It seems they are always cranky for something, he just finished being cranky from molting and now he is cranky from breeding season. What are your thoughts on getting his wings trimmed? I havnt been able to take him out of his cage for months because he bites the hell out of my hands and I'm thinking getting his wings trimmed will make him feel less powerful.

You guys should post some pictures of your birds. I would love to see them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My female is flightless due to some cruel person before I got her but my male is fully flighted. When he gets to cranky I pick him up and toss him up in the air so he has to fly through the air. Seems to calm him down but he is a big bird so it takes alot of energy to flap those big wings. I'll get a couple pics up of them.