Ordered my first clam!! (pics)

Bigjohnwoody

So I got a 100.00 gift certificate for Christmas from liveaquaria and just ordered a clam with it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to best place this and where then shoot them my way. It will be delivered on Thursday so I have plenty of time for all suggestions. Tell me what you think and I will keep this thread open as my first clam thread! Lol

This is the pic from liveaquaria as I don't have it yet!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/itemdisplay.cfm?c=2733+1&ddid=111151&ref=4282&subref=AI&cmpid=E-_-TR-_-DDN-_-PRDCT

keep in mind that clam is less than 2" and will probably need supplemental feeding until it is larger and able to support itself

I don't mind supplimenting the feeding what is the best way to do this and what do you recommend?

Not trying to be the clam police but how old is your tank?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Uh oh should I have waited? It is about 3 months old now! All my perams are in great shape and have been for quite some time. I was hoping it would be ok am I wrong? Your scaring me now!

I don't know why you used my threads to show that adding a clam in a young tank is bad. My clam did totally fine when my tank was a little over a month old and is doing fine now. It has actually grown about an inch since I have had it and my tank is still under the magic 6 month number.

John, as long as you have good water quality and good light your clam will do fine. Don't let people worry you. I have never fed my clam, but my clam was larger when I bought it. I still think you should be fine without feeding. Feeding can do more harm than good imo.

Uh oh should I have waited? It is about 3 months old now! All my perams are in great shape and have been for quite some time. I was hoping it would be ok am I wrong? Your scaring me now!

Wasn't trying to scare you, was just going to suggest to wait a few months after the tank was setup. I waited a year and just recently got my clam a week ago. They are sweet creatures. Amazing looking clam btw!(rock2)

I won't get into the clam-police stuff (but you will have to be very careful with such a young tank)' date=' but wow that is a beautiful clam. Good luck, I hope it does well and grows.[/quote']

I made the comment based as a joke. I knew someone would jump in here and say return it and get rid of it. I was just asking an honest question. hence why I said "not trying to be" in the sentence..(laugh) Even you suggested to be a little careful in your comment. That's all I was going to do as well. Just glad were on the same page now.;)

Wow buddy, SAAAAAAAAAAA WEEEEEET Clam!!! Just keep up on your water changes and you be fine! :) Keep in mind that were ever you put it, they can move so dont put it above anything that can harm or eat it if it jumps. (like above a LTA like Colton did hehe Love ya Colton!) I have had miximas on both sand and rocks. Depending on how deep your tank is just keep in mind that clams get about %80 of there food through photothensesis so it needs ample light. What kinda light you have? If MH then you can put it anywere. If you dont have MH then it needs to go twords the top. If you do have MH I found that if you place it on the sand, berry a flat small rock about an 1" deep in the sand and place the clam on top. Then saround the clam with little pieces of rubble. Not to trap the clam but to give it lots of options.

I don't know why you used my threads to show that adding a clam in a young tank is bad. My clam did totally fine when my tank was a little over a month old and is doing fine now. It has actually grown about an inch since I have had it and my tank is still under the magic 6 month number.

John, as long as you have good water quality and good light your clam will do fine. Don't let people worry you. I have never fed my clam, but my clam was larger when I bought it. I still think you should be fine without feeding. Feeding can do more harm than good imo.

I think that Mitchell is an exception. The reason most people say stay clear of clams until tank has been up for 6 months is because the aquarist themselves are new too. The first posts I seen from you was your build thread and you looked new to the hobby. Well new people tend to mess up, but the cool thing is, you are vigulant and a dedicated saltwater marine keeper, and you are the exception. I think you're right too, Bigjohnwoody will be good because he is not new and will be able to do the things you did in order to keep a successful growing clam this small.

BTW, Big John, that clam is hot!

Wow buddy' date=' SAAAAAAAAAAA WEEEEEET Clam!!! Just keep up on your water changes and you be fine! :) Keep in mind that were ever you put it, they can move so dont put it above anything that can harm or eat it if it jumps. (like above a LTA like Colton did hehe Love ya Colton!) I have had miximas on both sand and rocks. Depending on how deep your tank is just keep in mind that clams get about %80 of there food through photothensesis so it needs ample light. What kinda light you have? If MH then you can put it anywere. If you dont have MH then it needs to go twords the top. If you do have MH I found that if you place it on the sand, berry a flat small rock about an 1" deep in the sand and place the clam on top. Then saround the clam with little pieces of rubble. Not to trap the clam but to give it lots of options.[/quote']

Ok so I am running MH and as of two days ago my params were as follows. Amm 0, Nitrite 0 (API) Nitrate 0, Calc 410, Mg 1260, Alk 8.6 (Salifert) Phos. 0 (Hanna checker). I was running GFO when I checked this and everything seems to be doing very well but I figured I wanted some phosphates so I removed the GFO and will check again today to see where I am at I figured I wanted to be around 0.05 and 0.02 I am trying to run a mixed reef and know a lot of corals like zoos, palys, and lps require a little dirtier water as does a clam. I am gonna attach some full tank shots here a little later and ask people opinion on where I should place it. I would like to place it on my sand but am afraid my diamond watchman will bury it in sand. He is a pretty model citizen but occasionally he puts sand where he should not. Mostly just tries digging under things and they fall over. My sand bed is a little over 2 inches in most spots. I am ordering phyto through Garrett today. Anything else I should get from him for the clam before I place the order.

Sweet looking clam be sure to post pics once you get it. I added my first clam when my tank was 4m old, it was a 2" crocea. It lived for over 3 years until i started dosing vodka. Don't let the debbie downers get to you. And don't dose vodka! (laugh)

Be sure to put the clam on a rock if you do start it on the sand. That will give it something to attach to. I think you are on the right track with everything else.

Clam police checking in here;

Big John Woody wrote - Jan 4, 2009

"I just read your whole thread on your clam. I am really happy to hear it is doing well. I too really want a clam but my tank is only about 5 weeks old. I have made the decision that I will wait till it is atleast 6 months old. I am very conscientious about my water quality but I still don't want to take any risks. Thanks for sharing! It was a lot of useful info for me. "

What changed your mind? If your tank was 5 weeks old, then right now it is roughly 9 weeks old...they are beautiful...

Stability takes time

Clam police checking in here;

Big John Woody wrote - Jan 4, 2009

"I just read your whole thread on your clam. I am really happy to hear it is doing well. I too really want a clam but my tank is only about 5 weeks old. I have made the decision that I will wait till it is atleast 6 months old. I am very conscientious about my water quality but I still don't want to take any risks. Thanks for sharing! It was a lot of useful info for me. "

What changed your mind? If your tank was 5 weeks old, then right now it is roughly 9 weeks old...they are beautiful...

I think that there Beauty did have a lot to do with it along with the 100 bucks burning a hole in my pocket. lol. I got a divers den update and I guess I got caught up in the moment and I sprung. I did some quick google research and the stuff that I read was saying that Maximas are one of the easier clams to take care of so I took the plunge. My tank params have been very cosistent for 2 months and everything seems to be doing very well in my tank. My corraline is spreading like crazy everywhere, my birdsnest is doing well the Duncan I got is already popping 2 new heads and my zoo's are all sprouting new polyps. Along with other stuff all doing well. I will be posting pics and asking questions throughout the process making sure I am doing everything I can to make it happy. I already ordered phyto through Garrett. I am also hoping I can talk someone into housing it for me if it takes a turn for the worse. I just hope I can get my camera skills up to par with my new camera to give you guys all accurate pictures of the clam. I have been struggling getting things to look natural. The camera is way smarter than me. Thanks everyone for your input. I hope I can keep it looking as amazing as it does at liveaquaria.

Ok so I took a full tank shot for all of you guys to give me some suggestions on placement! I am thinking on the right hand side on that big rock about mid tank on the far right. I feel like it would be good light and also good flow but not direct from the vortech. Remember it is 24 inch deep tank and I have 2x250 mh. Also hesitant to put it on the sand cause I am scared of my Goby spitting sand on it. Also from what I have read maximas in the wild are almost always on rock. let me know what you guys think.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10718&d=1297310733

Put it on the rock' date=' it's the natural place for maximas.[/quote']

Come on man I was already planning on that! Lol. I want to know where on the rocks you think would be the best place in regards to my vortechs and light! I know they can move but I want to start him close where he would do the best!(rock2)

Ok so I took a full tank shot for all of you guys to give me some suggestions on placement! I am thinking on the right hand side on that big rock about mid tank on the far right. I feel like it would be good light and also good flow but not direct from the vortech. Remember it is 24 inch deep tank and I have 2x250 mh. Also hesitant to put it on the sand cause I am scared of my Goby spitting sand on it. Also from what I have read maximas in the wild are almost always on rock. let me know what you guys think.

attachment.php?attachmentid=10718&d=1297310733

Wow buddy, SAAAAAAAAAAA WEEEEEET Clam!!! Just keep up on your water changes and you be fine! Keep in mind that were ever you put it, they can move so dont put it above anything that can harm or eat it if it jumps. (like above a LTA like Colton did hehe Love ya Colton!) I have had miximas on both sand and rocks. Depending on how deep your tank is just keep in mind that clams get about %80 of there food through photothensesis so it needs ample light. What kinda light you have? If MH then you can put it anywere. If you dont have MH then it needs to go twords the top. If you do have MH I found that if you place it on the sand, berry a flat small rock about an 1" deep in the sand and place the clam on top. Then saround the clam with little pieces of rubble. Not to trap the clam but to give it lots of options.