Need computer help!!!

reef165

How old is the system? Typically I would recommend backing up your data ASAP as you are most likely going to need to replace the drive. However I have seen this get reported in error....meaning there is no actual problem.

Here is a quick read on this error

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1292808629837+28353475&threadId=590310

if you want more technical documentation I can post link to the HP support site as I am assuming this is an HP

I forgot....there is an update you can install that will resolve this IF it is a erroneous report....meaning there is no actual error

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=96269&prodNameId=96972&swItem=PSG_I7129-9413&swEnvOid=23&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=3

"This software contains the files necessary to create a bootable diskette that updates particular Maxtor hard drives to fix a SMART threshold issue. It corrects false 1720 errors displayed when the computer is started.

The update autodetects all hard drives currently installed. If it finds a Maxtor hard drive that has a firmware revision older than contained in this program, it automatically updates the firmware. Upon completion of all required modifications, the user will be informed that the computer must be power cycled.

This firmware update is a non-destructive update. User data is not affected. "

and the cost if this works is $0.....hope this helps....if so your welcome.;)

Yes it is a HP laptop, it is not quite a year old. I have backed up all my photos and music, but as for anything else, I've tried several times and it also errors out and wont complete it. I'll look at the link you provided but since I'm a comp idiot it prob wont do any good.

You should try that second link first before going through the read. But if that second link's update doesn't resolve this you should back up the data ASAP. I have 2....yes two TB drives so I am sure I can hold your data if you need storage space. I can also reload your windows and replace your apps if the need arises.

Here.....I was going to basically type this out for you but here are some options for you. Do you have your windows 7 disk?

Or you can bring your computer to me and I can do this for you....either way

first ....can you boot into safe mode? Hit F8 when the computer is starting to get the menu. If so under Windows Advanced Boot options, select Safe mode and hit Enter.

If you’re able to boot into Safe mode, then try rollback the recently updated drivers from the System Recovery Options.

If not, then use the System Recovery options to rollback the recently updated drivers and check if you’re able to login to the computer successfully.

Click on Start then type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.....this will bring up the device manager now

Follow instructions on this link to restore drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Restore-a-driver-to-its-previous-version

If the restoration is successful, take out the DVD and restart the computer to check if you’re able to boot up normally.

You can also run the check disk utility from the Windows Recovery Environment to check if that helps.

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box. Choose command prompt.

7. By default, you’ll see X:\sources in the command prompt. Press enter after typing each commands.

Type C:

then cd windows

then cd system32

your line should look like C:\windows\system32

then type chkdsk /r

so full string should be C:\windows\system32\chkdsk /r

Note: Check Disk will try to fix the bad sectors on the hard disk. So data present on the bad sectors will be lost.