Heater?

pnkrcklives

Bump, I am actually in the market for a new heater as well, so I am also curious what people recomend. I see these "Titanium" heaters with the thermostats, are they any good? I don't know if Finnex makes them or what, but many people seem to recomend Titanium heaters. I will be following this thread to see what people say...(plotting)

I have been reading the the titanium heaters are the way to go. I talked to a couple shops. They said to stay with solid state. Due to the fact that they can be mounted and run at any angle. And come to think of that there is a solid state one in my 55 fresh thats like 6-7 years old. I believe it is a marineland stealth. I will check it out and maybe try another of those since it was cheap, if I remember right. So I wont be out much if it dies.

I don't run heaters on my tanks that don't need them. I only run haeters on the tanks in the garage during the winter and I don't run them without controllers with built in logic to shut down in case of an overheat. I have a box of broken heaters. Tutanium is the inly thing I use now and even those will go bad eventually.

I run all my heaters into a control box with temp probe(homeade but works well). That box will shut down the power to the heater completly at a set temperature. So running a heater with no logic built in is possible for me. Mostly looking into reliability vs cost.

well that is logic, its just built into the control box you made. that was my point, its roulette running a heater without a failsafe of some kind. I've been using aqua heat by ecoplus for awhile now with good results. but i still have it backed by a controller. The only titanium heater i've had go out on me was due to a crack in the wiring from 4+ years of use and a few different tanks.

well that is logic' date=' its just built into the control box you made. that was my point, its roulette running a heater without a failsafe of some kind. I've been using aqua heat by ecoplus for awhile now with good results. but i still have it backed by a controller. The only titanium heater i've had go out on me was due to a crack in the wiring from 4+ years of use and a few different tanks.[/quote']

I'm running the same heater but only as a fail safe if the temp gets to low. My tank doesn't typically get lower than 76 on any given day even now with the colder days we've had. I keep my house temp at 69-70. My halides keep the tank warm.

I keep my house a little cooler(67-69). So a heater is needed on my system. I can just continue using my controller and the stuck on heater. But would rather replace it. Patrick at SWF showed me the heaters he recomended sounds good, for 40 bucks. But luckily I scored two good working used ones off craigs list for twenty. Now I have one for my water making station I am working on in the garage.