Electrician Help!

racefan

pull on the wire a little bit, sometimes you can get a little slack out of the wall. a picture would help asses the situation. It sounds like you just need about 1/2" more wire so you can reconnect it in the box. you can also jumper it with another wire as long as it all stays in the jbox.

• Like 1

They make slip on and crimp type connectors - allows you to connect two pieces of wire with very little length of wire. It looks like a little copper barrel you slip two wires into and then crimp the barrel down to hold the wires together.

they also make them with plastic housings crimp on style, just gotta be careful that they are rated for the type of wire your using. Also everything that is spliced has to be inside the jbox. i can't believe some of the stuff i see when we tear open old homes for remodels to find open splices in the walls taped together, wires run around studs. imagine if your kid hit a wire with a tack or small nail hanging a picture. sorry for the small rant.

I would take a real small pair of needle nose pliers or vice grips and hold onto the wires at the base. Then take that barrel off the two wires with another set of pliers. Save as much of the wire length as you can.

Then use something like these.

The first pic is something i use alot. you can just slip the wire up into the hole and it automatically grips the wires. then just jumper out with another wire to your gfi.

It looks like those wires are in a conduit. I would give them a good pull with some needle nose and see about getting some slack. Also try and figure out where the wires originate and maybe that connection can spare some length.

Agreed, if its hard pipe conduit, it would be easy to pull a new wire through also, but its probably that metal flex conduit. either way i agree, tug on it some and see if you can tone it out or trace its origin to another plug, you could loosen the other end an inch probably.

• Like 1

Ok When I grabbed with some needle nose the copper barrel came off. All I need to do is see if I can get a new barell & re-splice it. Problem is I have been is Seattle area at my uncles 80th birthday party.

I wouldn't even use a copper barrel, i'd just splice it with a butt connetor, something easy. crimp ons suck imo.