Winco clams

gradth

I picked up a few live clams at Winco today. They are truly alive it seems.

Anyway, any problems with feeding them to your tank? I chopped a couple up and rinsed them well and fed them to both my tanks. My blue throat triggers went mad. The female was very fat and happy afterwords. My niger in the other tank loved them too.

Also, I tossed a whole live one in the tank just to see if anyone would mess with it. It seems alive and happy, opening up a little and filtering or doing what ever it is clams do. Any real chance of it staying alive in a reef tank? Not that I want to keep it, just curious.

I have a friend who bought some cold water clams from a japanese store (Umajimawa) and he said they are thriving in his tank and as a result, his nitrate and ammonia is down.

Not sure if I'm going to venture that way.. plus they are brown and ugly. :D

There are a few articles out there about people who have taken clams and mussels and started using them as filters. From what I remember (I'm too lazy and sick to Google it right now), they worked ok but had a shorter lifespan than usual due to being kept in the warmer water. Not sure you'd really be buying yourself anything... they eat, they poop. I think they're fully grown as they come to the store, so there's no nutrient export.

Long and slooooowwww acclimation is key to keeping them in the tank. Also, if you have the ability to keep your temperature down around 74 or so then there is a much better chance of them surviving. I had some in a tank a few years back and they lived a couple years anyway. Just make sure you have a well stocked cleanup crew for when they do die

Long and slooooowwww acclimation is key to keeping them in the tank. Also' date=' if you have the ability to keep your temperature down around 74 or so then there is a much better chance of them surviving. I had some in a tank a few years back and they lived a couple years anyway. Just make sure you have a well stocked cleanup crew for when they do die[/quote']

So the fact that I just tossed him in the tank DOH!

Day two, and still kicking. Either way, I know what I will keep in the fridge for a weekly treat now. Fish loved it all chopped up.