Need help with skimmer

moovinfast

So I redid my set up and now need to use the "new" skimmer I got a while ago outside my sump. But I cant get it to work right. I took out the stand pipe for the return because if I left it in the water would just fill the skimmer to the top. It wouldnt drain. So now I have a ball valve on the return to try to adjust the height, but thats not really working either. You cant really see it in the pic. Its the one with the black handle on top. It wont stay at a constant level. Its using a brand new aquaMax-2500 pump. Do I need to look for a new skimmer?

post-5842-141867779944_thumb.jpg

Flow level

It looks like the water level of the outlet from the skimmer may not be above the sump water level - I think by that skimmers design that it should be above the sump water level.

Isn't the white PVC pipe where the return is, or should be? Are you using the flex hose as the outlet? That does not seem correct. There is an outlet near the top cup, which we cannot see, correct?

(scratch)

If the line with the ball valve is the return lift the hose up to the level you want your water in the skimmer put a T fitting at that level attach the hose on the horizontal side's and a straight pipe vertical open to air. The reason for the vertical pipe is if you don't open the top of the loop to air it will create a siphon and drain the skimmer I did a little mod to your photo I will try and get a pic of my setup for you picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=614

Well I got it working kinda. The problem was the pump was too deep. I think the line for air collapsed when under the water. So I raised the pump and redid some of the tubes. Its woks now, but I can't raise the water lever. I put the stand pipe back in, but it wont go past the tube in the middle for the return. Had it working perfect in a tub of saltwater. Something about trying to do it remote isnt working. Ill try a T in the return line tomorrow. But I think I might be better off with a different skimmer. Maybe get one that will actually fit in the stand.