It's time to change the PC bulbs, but which ones?

Hog Head

It is time to change my PC bulbs and I am not sure what to get. When I bought my CUSA 130w PC fixture I didn't know anything about reef lighting. If I had, I would have gone MH instead. Now I have been running CUSA's SmartPaq 6700/10000k bulbs and I really don't like the yellow light they give. I was going to order CUSA's SunPaq 10000k bulb, but I found UVL 12000k bulbs. They also have a 75.25 14000k bulb. It seem like it might be alittle too blue but I have never seen them. You can see what I have for live stock/corals in my signature. What do you think? I don't know anything about UVL. Can someone help with some info on UVL or should I just stick with the CUSA SunPaq's? Please enlighten me if you know of a better bulb.

Thanks,

Gene

I too am interested. I am not happy with the tone of blue that I have right now. It isn't a very dark shade so I dont get the glow I want from my corals.

What little I have been able to find out about the UVL bulbs is as follows: The 12k bulbs are a mix of 50% actinic 03 & 50% Tri-Band Phosphor , 14k is a mix of 75% Actinic 03 & 25% Tri-Band Phosphor. UVL claims they have a useful life span of 4500 hours. So that means 375 days at 12 hours a day?

That is all I have found out so far.

I have been using a 24w Giesemann Actinic+ to supplement the PC bulbs. I guess I wouldn't have to anymore if the UVL's did the job.

I only have used one uv bulb is was a super actinic t5 it has nice color, other than that I really dont know a whole lot about them, and I really dont know alot pc lighting...I might have to do some research.

I buy my bulbs frome Reefgeeks.com they had really good costomer service and Fast shipping! Here is a link to there PC page

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Power_Compact_Fluorescent/Bulbs/

What has the deepest blue for PC's?

Other than just actinic, If UVL's claims are true, UVL's 14k 75.25 would be the bluest I think?(scratch) If I could find someone who has some positive experience with the UVL 12k or 14k bulbs I would pull the trigger on the 12k's. If not, I am going to stay with the 10k SunPaq's.