29gal to 37gal upgrade worth it?

Hog Head

I have a tall marineland 37gal (same footprint as 29gal) that I am thinking about using until I upgrade to a much larger tank. Would the extra 8gal of water and height be worth stressing my tank out for? Would I be able to just move everything straight over and add 8gal of sw without any problems?

Thanks.

If I'm correct the smaller tank has not been set up for very long? If so then swapping to the larger tank will cause it to cycle again (it will cycle regardless of how long it has been set up) however if your using everything from the smaller one and just adding water then it will be much milder than what it would with everything new. If it has been set up a long time then the sand may be toxic underneath and should be replaced.

One thing to keep in mind is that your lighting may be less effective since the tank is taller. You will probably need to either add more rock or rearrange it to get the corals higher.

How long before you upgrade to a larger tank than this? If you expect to do this within the next 6 months or so I think I would wait.

I would think that waiting 6 months to a year is a good idea. But then again I am stubborn and would do it as soon as I got the tank' date=' regardless how long mine has been running. But that is why I heard alto of "I told you so" comments[/quote']

If I'm correct the smaller tank has not been set up for very long? If so then swapping to the larger tank will cause it to cycle again (it will cycle regardless of how long it has been set up) however if your using everything from the smaller one and just adding water then it will be much milder than what it would with everything new. If it has been set up a long time then the sand may be toxic underneath and should be replaced.

One thing to keep in mind is that your lighting may be less effective since the tank is taller. You will probably need to either add more rock or rearrange it to get the corals higher.

How long before you upgrade to a larger tank than this? If you expect to do this within the next 6 months or so I think I would wait.

The 29g has been running close to a year and a half now. I was going to add a couple of pieces of base rock to boost certain pieces toward the surface. I was thinking about doing this for my foxface because he eats like a horse and seems like he is growing. I am hoping to upgrade within the next 6 months or less. I am selling allot of high end ho scale model RR equipment and a new 14" delta band saw so I can do it. I have a 100 gal 72x18x18 tank in the garage but I am afraid that my Maristar fixture is going to be too much light for it. I have been thinking about buying Blowsbubbles 180gal setup plus his PCI RPS 2000 skimmer and MRC CR-1 calcium reactor instead. If I stay with the 100g it will be much sooner.

I think I would just aim for the larger system. What lighting does the maristar fixture have that you think it will be too much? If it has 400w lights I would just cut the time back (I run mine 4 - 5 hours a day).

It will have 3x250w Ushio 10k's powered by Blue Wave 3 Ballasts and 4x39w Giesemann Actinic+ T5HO's. I chose the 10k's for maximum growth. I don't want to have to hang it so high above the tank that an excessive amount of light will spill out into our living room.