Skimmer out of control!

Hog Head

The only thing I have done is add some things from I got from Prada.

Alkalinity 200+

Calcium 480-500

PH 8.2-8.3

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10-20ppm

Ammonia 0

Salinity 1.024

All these levels are the norm for my tank.

When I empty the skimmer cup and turn it back on, it fills right back up. I have been moving things around trying to place the things from Brandon but nothing else.

I have a Magnum hang on canister filter. Would it help if I load it up with carbon and run it for a while?

Thanks, Gene

The pieces I added from Brandon are two stalks of Frog Spawn, 3-4 pieces of Acropora, about 20 brown/green palys and a half dozen mushrooms on rock.

I wouldn't think any of that would cause it, but this my first experience with Acropora. I don't know if it is normal, but the Acro's polyps have been open for most of the day and I just put them in last night. That is a good sign I hope. They did slime up a bit though when I glued them to some pucks.

Well I dont think its anything that you have been doing with the adding of corals, and yes the acros will slime a bit when handled but most corals do as a defence but it wont do anything to the skimmer, oh and yes its a good thing that the polyps are out it means that its happy!!

If it was me I would clean out the air intake at the pump/ventury whatever ya have and then if it dosnt work try adjusting the thing back a bit for a couple days

Well I dont think its anything that you have been doing with the adding of corals, and yes the acros will slime a bit when handled but most corals do as a defence but it wont do anything to the skimmer, oh and yes its a good thing that the polyps are out it means that its happy!!

If it was me I would clean out the air intake at the pump/ventury whatever ya have and then if it dosnt work try adjusting the thing back a bit for a couple days

Thanks for the good news on the Acro! I thoroughly cleaned the pump/venturi within the last week. The air inlet is functioning. I dialed the water level back a little and the skimate is quite a bit drier now. After I cleaned it a few days ago it cycled through a few cups then it was fine. I guess the skimate always has been a bit on the wet side but the last couple of days have been nuts.

If its just filling up with water then i agree turn the level down a bit. Also I'd buy another calcium test kit

The calcium test kit is an Aquariun Pharm kit. I use Seachem salt mix and the calcium level has always been 480-500. Of course until now, I have never really had anything that eats up calcium. Mostly just softies.

The calcium test kit is an Aquariun Pharm kit. I use Seachem salt mix and the calcium level has always been 480-500. Of course until now' date=' I have never really had anything that eats up calcium. Mostly just softies.[/quote']

Thats a pretty high reading most salt mixes should give you close to seawater 420 or so

the coraline will use it , but you wont see much if any more use with just a couple frags of acro. Now you got a prob though! Youve gotten an sps, now its just a matter for time and youll have your back turned and bam ya get bit by the sps bug and ya wont be the same after that!

the coraline will use it ' date=' but you wont see much if any more use with just a couple frags of acro. Now you got a prob though! Youve gotten an sps, now its just a matter for time and youll have your back turned and bam ya get bit by the sps bug and ya wont be the same after that![/quote']

I hope I have caught the bug. with my 72" 100gal tank and 72" Maristar fixture, I hope to have a little briar patch.

I was just attempting a funny abought your 420 remark, ya know the international sign for um, "green Horn" The reason wether we know it or not we are all investigated because of the electrical demand our tanks have resembles the demand a illegal crop would have.

If you are planing on getting several sps' date=' I would seriously think abought a cal reactor! I had the hardest time getting much growth and poping collor till I added a cal reactor![/quote']

That is what the LFS is recommending after the new tank is up and running.