Bioluminescent worm?!?!

Tat2d

Hey all!

Sometimes I deal with insomnia and it bites, but today it was a good thing! I went to check the tank temp at 2:30 am, and saw a glowing worm on the LR:eek: In all the years I've been staring at saltwater systems, I've never seen anything like it. It's about half the diameter of a pencil lead, and about a quarter inch long, and glows the same color as a green glowstick. Very slow moving. I tried to get a pic, but no luck.

I was so amped about finding it, I immediately got online and started trying to find something written about it. All I could find was about tiny starfish that occasionally come in on LR from mexico-nothing else. Anyone else seen these?

I was so exited, I rushed my wife as soon as she got up, telling her "you have to come see this!!!!"

This was a VERY BAD IDEA!!!!! I love my wife dearly, but even she will tell you I was risking getting a pot of hot coffee in the face by coming at her like that at 4:30 in the morning (she's NOT a morning person. I ususually wait at least a half an hour to talk to her about anything) She's the sweetest person I've ever met the rest of the time, just not till she's woken up fully.

Well it must have been as cool as I thought, cause I'm still here. And she even seemed pretty impressed by it (she doesn't share the level of enthusiasm that I have for the hobby).

Just had to share this with everyone. Just when you think you've seen it all............

Bobby

• Like 1

I know you tried, but... ;)

(worthless)

A bioluminecsent worm sounds very cool, wonder what his 'angle' is -- I would have thought that being a glowing worm would attract predators. Maybe he tastes real bad and the glowing is a warning, like the red/black color combo in the surface world. (drinking)

My camera is about 5 years old. It was very nice-for back thenDOH!

Well, I'll keep trying for a pic. I'm just glad it was still out when my wife got up. At least someone else saw it and I'm not seeing things. I kept looking around outside the tank to see where the reflection was coming from because there was no way that was IN the tank.(scratch) I'd try to snatch it out, but I'm afraid of killing it. Hmmmm......

Bobby

It's out again, cannot get a pic of it to come out for anything. Must've taken 50. It's just so small it wont show up on my old camera. I'm looking for batteries for a flashlight so I can surprise it, and at least get a look.

I'll keep trying to get an image, but I don't think it'll happen.

Peace,

Bobby