Rusty frag rack magnet?

JasonH

So, I recently shut down my tank - primarily because I'm spending the week in Corvallis and just wasn't able to keep up maintenance of the tank, and things were really going downhill. I was loosing my Acros and just couldn't correct.

After dismantling the tank, I stumbled across this:

IMG_1108.jpg

What? Was a rusty magnet causing the problem? Or was this a non-issue? I figure if enough water was getting to it to rust it, than that was getting back into the water... right?

The common symptom of the acros was a die-off at the base and then out from there, usually slow.

Did I just shut down my tank because of one lousy magnet ([language filter] you eshopps) (flame)

Man, I can't believe the reason for shutting down the tank could have been a $1 magnet. Just goes to show how sensitive reef tanks are and how easily they can go south. Oh well, I'm still going to set up another tank, the break will just make it easier.

Thanks, as always, for the input.

Sorry to hear that Jason... I have seen alot of threads on RC about rusty screws and even some magnets and no one really knows if they are causing real problems, GFO is rust but just iron and not the other things that are in magnets.

The good news is that all of your corals are doing great in my system, the huge sunset is fully healed with no spots like before, and the birdsnest colony is getting a great purple color lately. I've had to move your large chalice and war off to the corners to keep them away from the bright light. Best of all your superman colony is getting back to its original glory, bright blue base with bright red polyps.

They will be here waiting for you when you rebuild.

later

Mike

That's awesome, Mike. Thanks for the update. Everything looked so sad in my tank, I'm thrilled to hear they are recovering. Thanks again for taking them in. As painful as shutting down was, it's nice to know I'll have a quick restock with some nice (and familiar) frags.

Archived