Rock Reincarnation - Beyond Cooking

TheClark

If you haven't seen this it is worth a read but only if you are a 'dead live rock' person.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914426&highlight=live+rock

I am, after some horrible phosphate and algae problems in previous tanks.  This method worked wonderfully for my son's tank.  I will always use it going forward.

• Like 5

Hey Jeremy! Thanks again for the heads up on this, i just read it again.

I really want to do all the rock i've been collecting but right at the moment it's not really possible for me. first is where i live and second i have a very badly broken predominate hand (On my 4th cast now haha) so reefing has been a little bit of a extra challenge, but hey, i've been making some progress on the tank  :yahoo:  I'll have to update my thread.

My question is i have a certain small rock that i let completely evaporate so it's basically a dead nasty salt block.

I want to do only this rock and maybe a few other small ones tonight.

I was going to head to HD and get whatever it is i need pretty soon so i wanted to ask if you had any tips on how i can do this with 3 dogs and a cat along with a landlord that would poop a brick if he spotted me doing this in front.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Just got back with my couple of jugs of muriatic acid.

I wish this was simple enough that i can open my bathroom window and seal the bathroom door with painters plastic and let it do its thing in my bathtub  :laugh:   :blink:   :nutty:

I wish this was simple enough that i can open my bathroom window and seal the bathroom door with painters plastic and let it do its thing in my bathtub  :laugh:   :blink:   :nutty:

Take it to one of those coin op car washes and do it in one of the stalls they are usually unattended just bring a book and hang out  =)

• Like 3

Hey Jeremy! Thanks again for the heads up on this, i just read it again.

I really want to do all the rock i've been collecting but right at the moment it's not really possible for me. first is where i live and second i have a very badly broken predominate hand (On my 4th cast now haha) so reefing has been a little bit of a extra challenge, but hey, i've been making some progress on the tank  :yahoo:  I'll have to update my thread.

My question is i have a certain small rock that i let completely evaporate so it's basically a dead nasty salt block.

I want to do only this rock and maybe a few other small ones tonight.

I was going to head to HD and get whatever it is i need pretty soon so i wanted to ask if you had any tips on how i can do this with 3 dogs and a cat along with a landlord that would poop a brick if he spotted me doing this in front.

Any ideas?

Hey Chris, sorry, I think it is stinky and messy and it takes quite a while sadly!  Maybe do it in a small container, then put a garbage can upside down over the tub to hide it?  Good luck!!

Nice read! Thanks for sharing Jeremy!

Glad to share, thanks for checking it out!

Take it to one of those coin op car washes and do it in one of the stalls they are usually unattended just bring a book and hang out  =)

Thats a good idea, but darn it would be a long time to hang out!! 

• Like 1

I wish this was simple enough that i can open my bathroom window and seal the bathroom door with painters plastic and let it do its thing in my bathtub [emoji23] :blink::nutty:

You don't mix acid in a bathtub. Didn't you watch Breaking Bad?! Seriously though, you need to use a plastic container to contain the acid. I think it has to do with how the hydrogen atoms are aligned in their molecular configuration.

I've done the muriatic rock wash in a 25 gallon tub. It bubbles, gases, and all sorts of stuff. Definitely not something you'd ever do indoors. This honestly is something you can do in a drive way (as I did). I honestly think there is nothing your landlord could do about it. It's none of his/her business. Unless your "landlord" is your parents :)

• Like 1

You don't mix acid in a bathtub. Didn't you watch Breaking Bad?! Seriously though, you need to use a plastic container to contain the acid. I think it has to do with how the hydrogen atoms are aligned in their molecular configuration.

I've done the muriatic rock wash in a 25 gallon tub. It bubbles, gases, and all sorts of stuff. Definitely not something you'd ever do indoors. This honestly is something you can do in a drive way (as I did). I honestly think there is nothing your landlord could do about it. It's none of his/her business. Unless your "landlord" is your parents :)

Yes this would destroy your drain!!!!!!!

LOL Walt and Jesse, curing live rock...

• Like 1

I did this to a couple hundred pounds of rock on the side of my house.  You want to do it outside.... between the bleach and the fumes from the acid... yeah... outside!  

It works like a champ!!  but definitely is a process and takes some time.  You will want to make sure that your rock is well rinsed after the bleaching.  The fumes from the bleach/acid combo are really nasty.

Thanks for the tips guys, i was jokingly saying i wish it was that simple to where i could get away with it.

But yeah, my landlord is a real [language filter] hat so if he spotted me he'll say something for sure but teehee im actually on my way outside with a 5g bucket that i've been soaking in bleach all day and night (The label said regular scent though?) going to recap the instructions real quick and have at it using Theclarks brilliant idea! Thanks Jeremy! and all.

Trial run is just 3 small rocks, fills the 5g though.

BTW: I'm not close to a storm drain.