Frustrated and need some help

Jay

If I knew where to buy a new impeller for this pump I would. Cant find one online yet but still looking. I think its a cheaper pump. Its not a sedra its like a sealine pump but I dont see a needle wheel impeller online yet. Or I may just buy a new pump. Does anyone local sell one or do I need to go online.

Jay

Jay

Jay,

Can you post some pics of the pump?

Specifically of the water inlet, impeller, and venturi?

To me, it sounds like the water inlet needs to be reduced. Maybe the reducer is missing.

As for replacement parts, I have no Idea on where to get a N/W impeller for that pump.

All of the ones I've seen only come with the paddlewheel(regular impeller). I have modded one of these pumps with the regular paddlewheel, and it pulls a bunch of air even with a paddle wheel. It's a noisy beast for sure. (I'd test airdraw, but Jordan still has my meter LOL)

And yes, the pump needs a specific amount of water to pass through the impeller well to cool the inside of the pump. Otherwise the magnet will overheat, swell, and ruin the pump.

...And yes' date=' the pump needs a specific amount of water to pass through the impeller well to cool the inside of the pump. Otherwise the magnet will overheat, swell, and ruin the pump.[/quote']

Ah, this is what I was trying (poorly) to address as a possibility above regarding the dual function of the water (lubrication/cooling) and the possibility of creating some localized friction and overheating with too much air (or really, too little water).

Isn't Sealine a product that Pacific Coast Imports brings in? If so, you could likely have one of your local shops grab one from them for you or give them a call and head over and grab one. They are right here in Woodburn so it wouldn't be too far of a drive.

Garrett

If I knew where to buy a new impeller for this pump I would. Cant find one online yet but still looking. I think its a cheaper pump. Its not a sedra its like a sealine pump but I dont see a needle wheel impeller online yet. Or I may just buy a new pump. Does anyone local sell one or do I need to go online.

Jay

Jay

Ah' date=' this is what I was trying (poorly) to address as a possibility above regarding the dual function of the water (lubrication/cooling) and the possibility of creating some localized friction and overheating with too much air (or really, too little water).[/quote']

I understand that and it makes sense. Would the temp of the water going thru the pump have any bearing here? If we take 60 degree air, mix it with 80 degree water, it would be cooler water running thru the pump as opposed to just 80 degree water. On top of that the pump is running at significantly less heat(wattage) already.

Jay i didn't see if you said this or not but have you tried taking the pump completely apart and soaking it in vinegar, pump, impeller and all? It kinda sounds to me like the pump is going. Hard to be sure though. Hopefully its just the impeller. That would be a cheap fix if you can find one.

I understand that and it makes sense. Would the temp of the water going thru the pump have any bearing here? If we take 60 degree air' date=' mix it with 80 degree water, it would be cooler water running thru the pump as opposed to just 80 degree water. On top of that the pump is running at significantly less heat(wattage) already. ...[/quote']

Miles, while the cooler air may help reduce the temp of the volute overall, that could be offset by the increased friction (from loss of lubrication) and the less efficient conduction of heat (water is better than air in this regard). This could still potentially apply even though the overall power consumption (and heat generation) might be lower as a result of the reduced back pressure.

This is, of course, all just supposition on my part but I was simply trying to come up with potential rational reasons for the "reduce the lifespan of your pump" scenario combined with your real data re power consumption/efficiency. Just an interesting thought exercise at this point without any real data of course!

Yah perhaps i'm just over thinking it. Another thing i thought of is maybe these pumps are made to run at an optimal temp. Like around 80. So even cooler water wouldn't help in this scenario.

I am buying a new pump today. Which one should I get for this skimmer? should I mesh the new one? Whats the best reliable one. The one that I cant screw up with as I need something jay proof....hehe Sedra what model?

Jay

I have my visa out :p

I don't think any sedra will "bolt right up" to your skimmer. You will have to play with different parts(PVC adaptors, viinyl hose ect) to get it to work.

What is the height of the skimmer? Diameter of the main chamber? Neck size? Bubble plate?

Pics would be great, but without the specs of the skimmer I can't recommend a pump for you.

I don't think any sedra will "bolt right up" to your skimmer. You will have to play with different parts(PVC adaptors, viinyl hose ect) to get it to work.

What is the height of the skimmer? Diameter of the main chamber? Neck size? Bubble plate?

Pics would be great, but without the specs of the skimmer I can't recommend a pump for you.

Its this exact skimmer.

http://www.aquariumpros.com/p-PS2000,PCI.html

That's about the same size as my skimmer (though judging by the pic, I think my skimmer's neck is wider than the PCI), and it was rocking with an OR2700 getting 12-15 SCFH. 40 SCFH would have made it into a twitchy foam-cannon... and even worse with a narrower neck.

... 40 SCFH would have made it into a twitchy foam-cannon... and even worse with a narrower neck.

Andy - I have to make sure I am never trying to drink anything when I read one of your posts... you never know when it will cause me to spontaneously spray liquid across my desktop (laugh)(laugh)

I am going to get this pump and do this mod.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284642&highlight=pci+2000

Whats perty funny is I just noticed Impur's post in this reefcentral thread about this pump. If I need help looks like he has been here and done this mod.

Jay

Yep ;) I've done a few mods to the pump and have not had a single problem. I changed the venturi, did the mesh mod, and changed the elbow that connects to the skimmer.

Shoot me a pm anytime if you have questions or need pics.

Yep ;) I've done a few mods to the pump and have not had a single problem. I changed the venturi, did the mesh mod, and changed the elbow that connects to the skimmer.

Shoot me a pm anytime if you have questions or need pics.

You wouldnt know of anyone here in town or nearby that sells the pump do you?

Jay

If people are always making these mods' date=' why don't the manufacturers start building the modifications into their design? Seems like there are a lot of people who would pay a little more for a "plug and play" skimmer. (scratch)[/quote']

ATB, MSX, Bubble King, I-Tech ect. are already providing us with plug and play skimmers. No need to do any extra mods on those. Then again, we shouldn't have to Mod a skimmer that cost around 1K.

Jay,

Are you sure you want 40SCFH running through your skimmer? The modded pump in that link is going on a 8" diameter skimmer. Yours is less than 6" diameter. I think you're going to have a hard time with that pump.

I think it's a great option. If you get good results with the pinwheel then stick with it.

If not, the mesh may do a better Job.

I run mesh on my other skimmer and have had no issues with it. I've seen other meshwheels completely fall apart though. Mesh will trap foreign objects easier than pinwheels but if you keep your sump clean it shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I am buying a new pump today. Which one should I get for this skimmer? should I mesh the new one? Whats the best reliable one. The one that I cant screw up with as I need something jay proof....hehe Sedra what model?

Jay

I have my visa out :p

Well,

How's it working Jay?

Well,

How's it working Jay?

Its working great and thanks for making it work with my skimmer. Fits well in my sump and has started skimming. I ran it in a bucket for about an hour with some vinager. I only had about 2 cups of white vinager and did not think that cider vinager would work so I went with the white vinager. I can tell its gonna be better then my other pump was. I really appreciate the help and the price was right too :D. Looks like it was ment for my skimmer. Very professional looking job.

Thanks Saltwater Fantaseas for the help.

Jay