Ryans 120G Peninsula Build

R-3

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATES!

Okay so I got the last coat of paint on the stand last night at about 5. I think it turned out pretty good. Then today I flipped the stand on its end and installed the panel that goes on the end. I just got home from Salem and CRPC and carried the stand inside to its final resting place :)

I still have to install the doors and then its done. Im gonna put the same wood panel recessed into the doors that I did on the front.

Tomorrow Im gonna take the tank outside and give it a through cleaning and also washout about 60lbs of sand to add to the 40lbs of live I got today. After that I should pickup my sump from Charles sometime this week and get water in it soon after that. I also gotta hose off some old base rock and clean my return pump. Then I should be ready :)

Here are some pics of the tank and stand!

IMG_0631.JPGIMG_0632.JPG

sick(rock2)

Thanks man!

Ryan

That's a really nice job on the stand, I'd be afraid to put anything on top of it for fear of scratching it DOH! more work than I would have put into it (whistle)

What kind of lights will you be running over it? And have you seen this light hanger.

Im still deciding on lights I want a fixture with legs pretty much. Thats a nice hanger though Charles. My only thing is that I would have to hang it the whole distance of the tank. Im gonna do some lookin tonight.

dang man looking good. Nice craftsman work by the way.

It was pretty easy. Just a 2x4 frame and then some 1x4 to trim it. A couple coats of paint. I think it will look real good when the doors are done.

Nice work Ryan! I love the contrast between the black frame and the stained panels... very sharp (rock2)

Yeah I wanted a painted stand and Anna wanted something with stained wood. I found the panels in the "leftover" pile in my dads shop. They are skins from a cabinet job we did awhile back! Nothing better than free wood!!

Looks really good Ryan' date=' what did you skin it with it looks very clean and sharp[/quote']

Its just 1x4 fir. Lots of sanding. It was the cheapest stuff I could get. Hemlock was way to much for a painted stand. It looks good, but I could have sanded some more.

Cant wait till you get it set up! maybe ill speed up the process and say ill trade you some snowflake polyps when you get it set up so i can see it with water in it!

I saw the old envision with water in the sump! hope i can see this one with it all the way set up!

Cant wait till you get it set up! maybe ill speed up the process and say ill trade you some snowflake polyps when you get it set up so i can see it with water in it!

I saw the old envision with water in the sump! hope i can see this one with it all the way set up!

Ha there ya go, a little peer pressure. Yeah I cant wait to have a bigger tank (clap)

So I got the tank outside to clean in yesterday and brought it back in and set it on the stand. I think it looks pretty good. Then I got to thinking more about my light setup and decided to toss the original canopy on there. It didnt look to bad with so I decided I will give it a coat a paint and see how it looks. I got the first coat on earlier and its probably ready for another. Heres some pics.

IMG_0677.JPGIMG_0678.JPG

Looks great, R-3!!! I love the look of the cherry/black stand!

What kind of lighting are you going to use?

Who knows :) I havent decided yet. I got a 400w Radium setup w a lumenarc reflector I will be using for the time being, Maybe I will stick with that DOH!

wow ryan, that looks sick. i was going to do an all black stand, but after seeing the two tone, i may do something similar. is the end piece removable? how is it held in? what doors are you using? i am thinking of starting my stand/canopy build, and this is just the inspiration i needed. very nice.

wow ryan' date=' that looks sick. i was going to do an all black stand, but after seeing the two tone, i may do something similar. is the end piece removable? how is it held in? what doors are you using? i am thinking of starting my stand/canopy build, and this is just the inspiration i needed. very nice.[/quote']

I made the endpiece permanent since I have 4 doors that are going on it. All I did was us some Dap "Better than Nails" adhesive and attached it to the 2x4s. I built it to where there would be a little bit of the 2x4 to ahere something to.

Who knows :) I havent decided yet. I got a 400w Radium setup w a lumenarc reflector I will be using for the time being' date=' Maybe I will stick with that DOH![/quote']

Awww...I was hoping you would give t5's a try! If I remember right, did you decide on T5's for your 212g Envision when you still had it?

Also, why didn't you make the stand more "form fitting" to the tank?

Awww...I was hoping you would give t5's a try! If I remember right, did you decide on T5's for your 212g Envision when you still had it?

MH is the way to go! you aren't going to get the shimmer any other way. Radiums are the shizzle anyway. Great color and output.

Curious, how would you make the stand more "form fitting"?

I guess "form fitting" isn't the right word... more of the elos look, where the stand is the exact length and width of the tank...

e5d382555949bc31c7a26a325441c344.jpg

I think my next stand will be much like this one, but black/wood two tone.

Ryan looking good just saw that the thread had been updatedDOH! Would love to see a few hanging MH over the tank with no canopy(whistle)

Also if looking for a way to hang some lights let me know. I know we can work something out remember I do metal work(laugh)

And as for form fitting look for my thread soon the Elos is in the house now;)

I have used T5's in the past. Im just waiting to see what deal pops up. Yeah I should have made it a little more form fitting honestly. I added a little bit thinking I would need it but I really dont. I guess it will work as a rim for test kit vials :)

I vote t5's. I would like to see a larger tank with t5's so I can decide on a tank set up for the future

My 75 had a 6 bulb Teklight. I would like to get a 8 bulb or bigger for this one. I just gotta find the right one.

MH is the way to go! you aren't going to get the shimmer any other way. Radiums are the shizzle anyway. Great color and output.

Im not totally sold on all MH yet but we will see. I could have made the stand the exact dimensions of the tank it wouldnt be much harder Curtis. I think thats what Ryan is getting at.

I guess "form fitting" isn't the right word... more of the elos look, where the stand is the exact length and width of the tank...

e5d382555949bc31c7a26a325441c344.jpg

I think my next stand will be much like this one, but black/wood two tone.

Yeah I like the Elos ones. This was my first stand likethis and there are p+'s and -'s to both.

Ryan looking good just saw that the thread had been updatedDOH! Would love to see a few hanging MH over the tank with no canopy(whistle)

Also if looking for a way to hang some lights let me know. I know we can work something out remember I do metal work(laugh)

And as for form fitting look for my thread soon the Elos is in the house now;)

Yeah you got any ideas Scott?? Send me a pic or something. I think a painted black one with two black pendants would look sweet!! I will use the canopy for the time being. Im glad to hear you got the Elos in the house!!!

I love tanks that are set up like that. My favorite set up of all time' date=' for me anyway, was my 80g I ran it like a peninsula to extend my hallway.(clap). Of course it took me forever to get to my room(scratch)[/quote']

Ha! Nice one Eric. Thats sounds like something you would do :p