Anemone Pooping ?

MissDeffiance

Possibly. You may want to consider getting some frozen silversides (finger size fish) and feed about 1/2 of a fish (or about 1 1/2 inches) every 2-3 days. Unless she has more color than the picture shows, she is really bleached out. That is not a good sign. They only get rid of the zoxanth. algae when really stressed. It will be a long road to recovery, but it can get better.

Have you read this link yet?

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/

here are some better pictures of "anemone poop"

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/thelittlepooper.htm

dsoz

Thank you for the info, I tried to feed it krill and it never took it I will get some silver sides and see what happens... it was suppose to be a white bubble tip so I never thought much about the color.. What makes you think it should be diff..

Usually it expands about 6"-7". I guess that is part of the reason I worried timing of shrinking and the poop... Not that it doesn't shrink at times..

Thanks again ..

AAAHHHHH I didnt know that ... So silver sides will make it better?

Anything else I should do?

I was told it was a white BTA and so never questioned it ...

If it were me, I would go to the place I bought it and complain. They should not tell a newbie that it is a "white anemone" just to make some money. I hope that you did not pay full price for it.

Feeding it can help. I would try feeding it a chunk of silverside every other day, every day would be even better if it will take it. Start with a small chunk and work your way up. You want the anemone to be able to ingest the whole piece (not have part of it stick out the mouth). If the anemone is under 3 inches, make the piece about 1 inch. If it is between 3-6 inches, make it 1.5 to 2 inches. If it is over 6 inches, make the food about 3-4 inches. Then adjust size to see how the anemone does with it. Don't force feed the anemone. Place the food on the oral disk, near or on the mouth, but don't push it in. If the anemone will eat, it will expand the stomach out of the mouth, or curl up over the food. If the food has not been taken into the mouth in about 10 minutes, then the anemone is not hungry, and you should remove the food. Try again the next day.

Make sure it is happy in every other way. Enough water flow, high water quality, enough light. But an anemone that is bleached can burn under too intense lights (think albino with a sun-burn). Under an overhang is a perfect spot for it. It can stretch to get into the light, but can relax in the shade when it wants to.

Good luck, the road to recovery is possible. I hope it pulls through. The only good thing about this is that you will get a surprise when you find out if it is a rose or a green. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with.

If you have not done it yet, spend an hour or two reading the Karen's rose anemone page. There is a lot of good information, and a section on recovering from bleaching that can give you hope.

dsoz

Thank you for the info, I tried to feed it krill and it never took it I will get some silver sides and see what happens... it was suppose to be a white bubble tip so I never thought much about the color.. What makes you think it should be diff..

Usually it expands about 6"-7". I guess that is part of the reason I worried timing of shrinking and the poop... Not that it doesn't shrink at times..

Thanks again ..

These anemones are never white, you got scammed. Sorry to hear that. But with care you should be able to bring it back. Like Dennis said, some silversides or anything you can get it to eat is the first step.

Good luck.

Anemone

Try silversides, I have had a few diff types of anemones since I started saltwater. Some would suck down silversides some would refuse them. Every type I have had except for a long tentacle would love to eat thawed fresh table shrimp. I rinse it good in fresh water then I soak it in a cup of tank water to get it the same temperature as the tank. I buy it at the local grocery store and cut each 1 into about 3 pieces (depending on size of nem) then feed 1 at a time (morning, noon, night) and if they are 6" + they should eat them all. I had a BTA that was bleached when I got it and it full recovered on this regiment within about 2-3 months. I feed a couple times a week sometimes skipping a feeding or two if it looks happy, but I have 400watt MH so I figure my Ritteri doesn't require as much food under this light since its happy place is pretty close to the water surface.

So basicly if yours will not take silversides easily then try some shrimp... Do not give up or get discouraged if it will not eat for you right away. Keep water quality good as others have said and have patience.

I am predicting its a Green BTA:p

Who sold you this?

Considering that we do not know the circumstances behind the sale of this creature, I think it would be unfair for Missdefiance to answer this question.

Afterall, we don't a well reputed LFS name smeared because of a one time event. Remember how the "public tends to panic".

Please feel free to contact her via PM to assertain the answer to your question.

Of course, it is her decision to disclose that information publically, but this is just my two cents. I don't want the public to be mislead and "scammed" either, but without proper proof of this occuring...

Kris

Considering that we do not know the circumstances behind the sale of this creature, I think it would be unfair for Missdefiance to answer this question.

Afterall, we don't a well reputed LFS name smeared because of a one time event. Remember how the "public tends to panic".

Please feel free to contact her via PM to assertain the answer to your question.

Of course, it is her decision to disclose that information publically, but this is just my two cents. I don't want the public to be mislead and "scammed" either, but without proper proof of this occuring...

Kris

WOW, I guess telling the group who sold her this would hurt who? I will fall back in line and speak when spoken to. I am very sorry. Wont happen again.

I think what Kris is getting at is:

Almost every LFS that I have been to has bleached out anemones for sale at one point or another. Some LFS get them in on trades and some come in from wholesalers or exporters and are not necessarily ordered by the fish store.

Selling a white or bleached out bubble tip anemone is not in itself a bad thing. I have had many, many bleached out anemones and have had great success in returning them to full color and health. Anemones come in all different colors, shades, and levels of zooanthelia present in their cells. It is not necessarily the LFS being irresponsible for selling a bleached anemone, it would be nice however for them to suggest how to bring it back to full color and in turn health. Anemones in the wild are often found perfectly healthy and quite bleached out. They may be gathering most of their nutrient needs from meaty foods instead of the photosynthetic symbiotic creatures that give them their color. I agree that in general bubble tip anemones should defately have a good color to them and over time this should become the case for this one assuming that adequate water quality and lighting are given.

There are many factors involved with the collection of anemones, their exportation, their sale, and finally their home in our aquariums. Stores are just one middle step and in the case of anemones are not always in neglect when selling a white or bleached anemone do to the nature of this type of creature.

Hard critters to explain because there are so many colors and shades that they can come in and ways that they can obtain nutrients.

Garrett

OK, here is my update so far.. I purchased silversides today and tried to feed a small one.. Did not seem to want anything to do with it. So I will try again tomorrow..

AS for the LFS that sold it to me I actually do not want to say, because I have got alot of good things and deals from them and like the people. I think it was a mistake not a intentional mislead..

I do have to say that I was at another LFS today where I got silver sides from and saw several RBTA there that were bleached out like in the pics on the site Dozr sent me too and they said they were fine as well .. So maybe they don't realize this ..

Anyway Tad no harm in asking..

I also think it is a green BTA sometimes I see greenish tints when the Lunar lights are on.

WOW' date=' I guess telling the group who sold her this would hurt who? I will fall back in line and speak when spoken to. I am very sorry. Wont happen again.[/quote']

Tad don't feel put out I'd like to know too lol ,if a sponsor here is selling these and if the powers that be would like to pm me so be it. This type of sale shouldn't happen and from what I know of most of the sponsors here they wouldn't sell such a animal, OK rant over if its liking the Rod's keep feeding that as it sounds your getting a feeding response if not try other fresh seafoods as anemones come from differing areas and natural foods can vary from fish to inverts

TAD->

Please don't take my remarks as harsh or directed toward you as a person. I have seen a lot of "bashing" on this site...it usually starts with a question quite similar to yours.

I am in total agreement that anyone selling "damaged" goods should be held responsible, that is if it can be proved. I just don't want to see a public "lynching" because of a one time incident.

Sorry if I came across harsh or rude in any way. That is really not my style. Also, I am all for freedom of speech, as long as everyone does it wisely and with much thought before publishing. Afterall, slander and liable are harsh words!

Kris